Metallic taste got me stumped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys so I racked a hibiscus/cherry mead to age and I snuck a little taste and it’s hot but it’s still young..it tastes quite good but it finishes and there’s a slight odd metallic taste.

3 lbs clover honey
1 gallon of water infused with hibiscus tea (10 bags) steeped for 10 minutes
DAP nutrient
K1-V1116 yeast

OG 1.120
It was my first time doing any kind of staggered nutrient addition. Added 1/4 tsp with yeast starter. Degassed on day 2,4,6 added 1/4 nutrient day 1,3,5..it fermented dry then I had a bit of ABV left so I wanted to push it. I added 8oz honey and a cup of organic cherry juice. SG 1.040. It has now at 1.016.

Also side note. I was a bit short on water(a few cups) so I used tap water. Well I’m wondering if this is something that will age out? If not does anyone have any suggestions..I’d prefer to not throw this away

There are a number of things it could be that is causing the metalic flavor or perception of it. I would let it age and check it each 3 months or so. Definately do not throw it out at this point.

My guess would be excess DAP. It is now known that yeast cannot uptake DAP after 9% ABV or so. It tends to lend a taste like you describe when it’s leftover. It really doesn’t age out. I would suggest looking into TOSNA. I avoid DAP these days.

Back