Messed up my grain bill need some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waynep005

Reaction score
I just recieved my supplies to make the Oatmeal stout recipe from Brewing Classic styles. I decided to due the Partial mash version. The recipe calls for 5.4 LB Pale LME, 2lbs 2 row malt, 1 lb flaked oats, .75 LB Chocolate alt, .75 LBvictory malt, .5 lb Crystal 80, .5lb Black Roasted Barley. I allredy had the roasted Barleyand Chocolate malt. I ordered the rest of the grain and since and had it all put in one grain bill. I realized when I opened the package that this put 1 lb of Crystal 80 instead of .5 lb and 1 lb of Victory instead of .75lb. How bad will this screw up my beer if I just brew it this way, or should I make an adjustment such as buying more supplies and making a double batch?

your beer won't be screwed up, it will just be a bit different than the initial recipe. Doesn't mean it will be bad. Your OG will of course be higher, and the crystal malt character will be more pronounced. I would just mash maybe a couple degrees lower than the recipe calls for (and even that is optional really, it would just help the attenuation a bit) and follow everything else. Don't worry about your OG matching the recipe, it won't. Just get to your final volume and consider it the new benchmark.

You most importantly want to make sure you pitch enough yeast and effectively control the fermentation temperatures. That is what will screw up a beer, not an extra 3/4 pound of ingredients. Let us know how it goes!

Why not just weight out the proper amount and make the recipe right. A scale does come in handy. If you don't have one already, they are fairly cheap and can be easily got at just about any dept. store. When buying grains or extracts you will be buying by the pound or 1/2 pound in some cases, the only other choice would be to have the grains milled or not. Brew on & Cheers.:)

Brew it as is and take notes. It will be slightly different than what you planned but it will be beer...you may find you prefer the extra crystal malt sweetness. In the end you'll have an oatmeal stout freshly brewed by you. Relax and enjoy it!

I would measure them out but they are in ne bag all mixed together after shipping making it impossible. think I will just brew it as is.

I would measure them out but they are in ne bag all mixed together after shipping making it impossible. think I will just brew it as is.

I would get a new supplier. They should never ever be shipped that way! Some kits may, but never grain that are ordered; unless instructed so by you. So brew it and take notes. Run it though a brew calculator like "tastybrew.com" so you will at least have an idea of your OG & FG and a little more information of what to expect. Good luck& Cheers:tank:

Latest posts

Back