Messed up my fermentation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
So I started up a Lawnmower lager about a week ago. I failed to follow instructions and after pitching the yeast I put the beer down to a range of 50-55F before active signs of fermentation were present. After three days of no signs of fermentation I called my LHBS who suggested keeping the beer at the same temps and just repitching the yeast in the fermenter. It has been another three days and I still have no signs of fermentation. This is the first beer I have ever brewed where I have had no signs of fermentation. Any suggestions?

Nope, but I ferment in glass carboys and I have been checking on it at least twice a day since I brewed it with no bubbles, no yeast circulation, and no signs of carbonation coming from the airlock.

The yeast was a Wyeast california lager 2112 strain and did not make a starter. I have never made starters and always get a great fermentation. I have a chest freezer with a temp regulator so I can ger precise temps. I also sanitize the best I can.

The yeast was a Wyeast california lager 2112 strain and did not make a starter. . . . . . .

Without knowing anything else about your brew, I would say this is the problem. For lagers we need to add more. . . . . Add more yeast, add more oxygen, add more time, add more patience. How much we add depends on your brew.

You may try swirling it, I wouldn't worry though until about the 3 week mark, your yeast is busy building billions more friends to tackle the job. Also sometimes lagers don't show much sign of fermentation either, you may try checking gravity in a couple of weeks.:mug:

Good news, this morning i started to see active signs of fermentation. Thanks for all the help yall. :fro:

Back