Messed up banana bread ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkej

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday i attempted to brew Banana Bread Ale (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/banana-bread-ale-90074/) but i got mixed up and forgot to convert (converting weights on the fly was a silly move) what do you guys think I have here?

6.00 lbs. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2
4.00 lbs. Munich Malt Great Britain 1.037 6
1.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
0.5 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2 (was supposed to be half)
0.5 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55 (was supposed to be half)
0.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475 (was supposed to be half)
2.00 oz. Styrian Goldings Pellet 1.90 16.6 60 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.50 2.5 5 min.

I'm starting again on Tuesday with the correct measurements but i wonder if anyone can predict what this will be like?

Looks like it is going to have a little more body from the increased carapils and crystal malts and it will be a little sweeter. The extra chocolate is going to give you more roast character than the original quarter pound, a half a pound is a lot for a beer that is supposed to have a bready character but it may offset some of the additional sweetness from the crystal malt. I don't think you ruined this beer, it may produce more of a caramel banana flavor than strait banana bread. The banana really comes from the yeast, so you'll still get that aroma, maybe not as much flavor though because of the increased amount of chocolate malt.

Thanks a lot for your very detailed reply. It actually sounds exciting! think my yeast was out of date though as no activity since putting it in the carboy drat! I will re-pitch in a few days...

Back