Melomel Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eslais

Reaction score
I made two half gallon melomel batches, one with EC-1118 and other one with bread yeast to taste the difference. The bread yeast one was made with lemon (whole, not zest) and the other one with green apples (I don't remember which kind of green apple). The lemon one was bottled 3 weeks ago, and the green apple one was bottled last week.

Long story short, the lemon one is crystal clear while the apple one is still hazy. I tried both today and the lemon tasted like a mixture of smell of dishsoap(not that I tried it before) and a lot of lemon (like it was lemon concentrate, maybe it was too much to introduce 2 whole yellow lemons), and it was a little acid. The green apple on the other hand, is 10x more drinkable by the time than the other one that has been aging for more time, but still tastes a little weird, not bad in any case but still not pleasantly drinkable.

My question is, will time improve the lemon one? Or is it ready to be discarded? It's so beautiful in color but really undrinkable :(

I'll wait for my verdict on the apple one on the other hand.

Thanks for reading :)

Back