Measuring alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerguy2009

Reaction score
OK, I know you can measure the OG and the FG to calculate alcohol content but is there a way to measure it on a finished beer? Is ther something other than a hydrometer that can do this? This is just a thought that has been going through my brain.

If you don't have an OG and an FG you can only make a guess. Its like algebra. You need 2/3 variables.

OK, I know you can measure the OG and the FG to calculate alcohol content but is there a way to measure it on a finished beer? Is ther something other than a hydrometer that can do this? This is just a thought that has been going through my brain.

There are specialized instruments and it can also be done with a gas chromatograph.

I'm guessing you don't want to know that bad.

Thanks for the answers. I was just courious if there was a way. Like ajf said taste is more important but I am a guy who wants to know more and that thought was in my brain so I asked here.
Thanks again for the responses.

Real simple. All you need is a decent scale. Weight out 100 gm of beer, heat in a water bath until the temperature hits 200F, re-weigh. This will boil off most (about 95%) of the alcohol.

Real simple. All you need is a decent scale. Weight out 100 gm of beer, heat in a water bath until the temperature hits 200F, re-weigh. This will boil off most (about 95%) of the alcohol.

Interestng idea. Should it be covered while heating to retain the water (or would that retain the alcohol also)?

If you know the OG, then a good estimate is to divide by ten, and you have alcohol by volume. For example, an pale ale with an original gravity of 54 will have about 5.4 % alcohol by volume. This assumes a normal 75% or so apparent conversion, with a finishing gravity about 12-14.

A good fractional distillation will give you the answer, but you need a distillation column that will give good separation of the alcohol from the water. Also, you will get all the alcohol but some of the water since alcohol and water form a 95% alcohol 5% water azeotrope, so you would have to add back 5% of the weight of collected alcohol/water mixture to get an accurate calculation.

I'd stick to the OG divided by ten, it's easier and now equipment and time is needed.

Latest posts

Back