Meade Recipe reduction question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanktenor

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Meade making newbie here. Looking at doing the following recipe in a 3 gal batch. Local brew shop suggested starting with 5 grams yeast and listed amounts of nutrient and booster, and then adding more booster and nutrient every 24 hours for 3 days. I want to adjust for a three gallon batch. How much honey/cherries would you veterans recommend? I was thinking 12 pounds and 12 pounds and 5 grams yeast.

For 5.5 gallons (21 L)
15 pounds medium-bodied honey
15 pounds frozen red tart cherries (pitted and thawed)
2 tsp yeast nutrient, preferably diammonium phosphate
1.5 tsp Fermaid K or other mead nutrient blend
Water to top up to 5.5 gallons
1 vanilla bean (optional)
15 grams Lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne Yeast strain, rehydrated according to package instructions

I typically scale 1:1, so 5 gallons calling for 15 lbs of honey would be 3 gallons calling for 9 lbs honey. I can't comment on whether that works out for keeping everything the same (as I have never scaled my own recipes for subsequent brews) but it is going to keep the SG the same and is really simple.

Hi folks,

Meade making newbie here. Looking at doing the following recipe in a 3 gal batch. Local brew shop suggested starting with 5 grams yeast and listed amounts of nutrient and booster, and then adding more booster and nutrient every 24 hours for 3 days. I want to adjust for a three gallon batch. How much honey/cherries would you veterans recommend? I was thinking 12 pounds and 12 pounds and 5 grams yeast.

For 5.5 gallons (21 L)
15 pounds medium-bodied honey
15 pounds frozen red tart cherries (pitted and thawed)
2 tsp yeast nutrient, preferably diammonium phosphate
1.5 tsp Fermaid K or other mead nutrient blend
Water to top up to 5.5 gallons
1 vanilla bean (optional)
15 grams Lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne Yeast strain, rehydrated according to package instructions

Sorry for being the dick lexicographer on this thread.

Best of luck with your recipe.

Yeah I guess I should have learned how to spell what I was making. LOL. Thanks for the help guys.

I've only done 2 meads, both JAOM with different oranges.This can be scaled for all ingredients except the yeast and cloves.

So I'm thinking for another mead, scale the non-yeast and non-spice ingredients exactly, use some discretion with spices and don't scale the yeast.

Back