Mead without DAP or fermaid k

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
As the title states. Can you do a mead without dap or fermaid k? I'm using raisins as I have no access to these yeast nutrients. Are there any other things I can/should use?
Also how often/when do you degass?

Thanks!

Absolutely you can. Raisins work. You can also boil bread yeast in a bit of water, let it cool, and add it to the must.

Usually you want to degas multiple times a day for the first few days.

Good to know thanks! I didn't have any airlock activity (still don't) except when I've been shaking it. When do I know when the sugar break is?

Good to know thanks! I didn't have any airlock activity (still don't) except when I've been shaking it. When do I know when the sugar break is?

Vitamin B tablets (thiamin) are also good.

The sugar break can only be calculated with hydrometer readings, you would have to have taken an initial reading....

Fermaidk and DAP are available mail order. Hell, I'm in the UK and have to order it from the US. Yes there's a few close equivalents, but for the genuine article.........

Vitamin B tablets (thiamin) are also good.

+1 on that fatbloke

I have used tea and boiled bread yeast alone on one mead and I think it pooped out too soon due to lack of nutrients. Later I discovered B6 tablets do wonders. Dap and Fermaid K is better but 1tsp of boiled bread yeast, 1 100mg B6 tablet and a few raisins per 1 - 2 gallons have worked for me in the past.

Back