mead with only DAP nutrient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi all, im wanting to make a traditional mead but i just bought DAP, when i realized that i needed more nutrients well i was to late, since i live outside USA it takes a long trip to get them, so my question its can i only use DAP for a 5 gallons melomel and D-47 yeast?, at least without getting any off flavor

Well im gonna give it a try then a hope it end uo tasting good, btw, this may be a silly question but, how do you put fruits on the mead? I mean how you sanitize the fruits without cooking them?

Well im gonna give it a try then a hope it end uo tasting good, btw, this may be a silly question but, how do you put fruits on the mead? I mean how you sanitize the fruits without cooking them?

Freeze, thaw, add 1 crushed Campden tablet (or equivalent amount of bisulfite) per pound, wait 48 hours for it to activate and dissipate, place into a sanitized vessel, then rack the mead on top of the fruit.

I would throw in some boiled/ nuked bread yeast or some other nutrients otherwise be very precise with your DAP additions, as too much DAP can burn yeast.

a good source for the future is Fermaid K, ( organic) use it to activate the yeast and to feed after your fermentation has started. Tosna feeding schedule is good to use.

a good source for the future is Fermaid K, ( organic) use it to activate the yeast and to feed after your fermentation has started. Tosna feeding schedule is good to use.
Fermaid-K is inorganic, Fermaid-O is organic. Neither should be used to rehydrate yeast (if that's what you mean by activate), only GoFerm is good for that.

i order some Go ferm and some fermiad O but the thing its this guys are coming in one month, so im tying to ferment some mead this month, since i have plenty raw honey over here,

btw the bread yeast its only used at the beggining??

Curious. Is this because you would be adding too much nitrogen? Or just because it would be unnecessary?
There is a limit to how much nitrogen yeast can assimilate and the YAN value is not established (or not published) for a packet of dead bread yeast. With Fermaid O they publish the numbers. I'd be afraid of "over feeding" them using both.

I would use the DAP sparingly. It can cause off flavors if overused. The boiled bread yeast mentioned above is always a safe bet.

Back