Mead/TONSA issues/questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffystump76

Reaction score
This is my first large batch of mead and first time using nutrients, go ferm and fermaid o only.
Alot of my jugs drastically slowed their bubbling after adding fermaid O last night, one jug was just barley showing any gas release even after 24 hours but I added fermaid O anyways.
1 out of 4 is still doing great, its doing so well its foaming out the top.

read on batchbuilder that you want to add a certain amount of yeast when doing TONSA, maybe thats the problem. I mixed a packet of yeast with go ferm and split it into more then one jug so maybe the yeast didnt build up fast enough to eat the nutrients fast enough?

What's your current gravity? I've had meads burn through upwards of .020 points a day. Had a beer drop almost .040 points in 24 hours.

Long term, airlock bubbling is meaningless in relation to gravity drop.
I forget the current gravity at the time but when I did the math it was only 6% abv.

So, around 1.067 based on your OG. I'd put an airlock on it, and check it in a few weeks.

Depending on your Yeast strain, should fermentation to completion in about a month.

Back