Mead stopped at 1.030 almost 3 months in, what can I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebrinak

Reaction score
Started my first batch of mead on 1/31, 5 gallons. Used EC-1118 yeast, also had sliced oranges in the primary. It did really well at first and I stirred it every day. When I took it off the oranges, my recipe had me add orange juice, this made it active again. It slowed way down, but here is where I think I went wrong, and I cannot find the book that led me to think I had to do this. About a month in I added Campden tablets. It would still bubble periodically but I think I stalled it. I racked it a week ago and it is still sitting at 1.030, started at 1.120. Will adding nutrients help me at all at this point? Or do I just have to wait it out and recheck in like 3 months?

Yep, @Joeywhat nailed it. The campden wiped out your yeast culture, so if you want to dry it out, you'll have to start over. Pitch a few new packs (if 5 gallons) of EC-1118 and they should be able to finish it off. Good luck!

I pitched new yeast and some nutrients, no new action. I will wait it out and see what happens. May have to start all over. :(

Nice! May take them a little bit to get moving again going in at ~13% abv, but they'll go. What are you using for nutrients?

good news, I repitched the yeast and I am seeing a little more action. So now I am more comfortable waiting it out. I will probably take a gravity reading in a few days just to make sure and eventually take it off the dead yeast. Would agitating it now that its going again be a good idea, or would that just put more stale yeast into the flavor?

Latest posts

Back