mead options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenM

Reaction score
OK, I have 5 gallons of cyser made with 8 pounds of honey 1/2 pound of dates, 1/2 pound of raisins, and 5 gallons of cider...after every rack was topped off with additional cider. Should end at 14-15% etoh made with d47. It started on Nov 15. It is clear as a bell. I have been thinking of breaking it into 5 separate 1 gallon carboys and adding something different into each gallon.

#1 plain (no additive) used for topping off and comparison to the others later at tasing time

#2 addition of ginger

#3 addition of oak

#4 addition of spices (apple pie plan)

#5 addition of tart cherry juice

Lastly I am planing on adding additional honey to get it off 1.000 at botteling time then stovetop pasteurizing.

Now to the question. How much additives and how long to steep before botteling? I am aware that every has their own taste, but looking for a general rule of thumb to start with, then taste till ready. If I go to far I can always use the plain to back it down some. Any help is much appreciated.

I'm having an issue sleeping at night with all of the mead options running thru my mind and am sure someone on here has tried most of them. Love all of the posts. Thanks again

Make tisane (steeped in hot water) or tinctures (steeped in grain alcohol) and add small amounts to tasting samples. Once you figure out a good ratio size it for one gallon.

For the tart cherry just add it in small amounts to where it tastes good in the sample and scale it to 1 gallon.

You can add the samples back in too if you don't drink from the mixing glass so long as they're not to far off the desired results.

If you don't want to tincture the oak then add cubes of toasted oak and taste every few days until you can start to taste the oak.

Back