Mead on top of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooney

Reaction score
Any one had much luck with dumping honey and water on top of the dregs of a batch of beer? I have recently got back into beer after brewing exclusively mead and have decided to dump 8 kg of honey dissolved in 23l of water into the yeast and hops mess at the bottom of the bucket. I might add fruit or flavour at a later date but I have an empty 23l carboy. The beer was a festival beers razorback IPA.

Hey Mooney! I haven't tried that myself, but as a fellow brewer of both beer and mead I feel like you'd be ok. If it were me, I'd add some yeast nutrient and make sure to aerate. Hope to hear how it goes!

Sounds fun. Just make sure you're using a beer yeast with a high alcohol tolerance.

I have had excellent results fermenting mead on the yeast cake of a beer. I basically just racked it right in after bottling the corresponding beer. I suspect you don't want a lot of hop residue or trub in the fermenter when you do this – I've always done it after a low- to mid-gravity non-hoppy ale. Generally used an English yeast – I think I tried with WLP001 once and wasn't very happy with the results.

Note that this was for a fairly sweet, quick-fermenting mead. I suspect the yeast cake and huge over-pitch are what makes this work so well; I didn't use staggered nutrient additions or similar techniques.

I have a 14th-century recipe that recommends pretty much this exact technique.

I have had excellent results fermenting mead on the yeast cake of a beer. I basically just racked it right in after bottling the corresponding beer. I suspect you don't want a lot of hop residue or trub in the fermenter when you do this – I've always done it after a low- to mid-gravity non-hoppy ale. Generally used an English yeast – I think I tried with WLP001 once and wasn't very happy with the results.

Note that this was for a fairly sweet, quick-fermenting mead. I suspect the yeast cake and huge over-pitch are what makes this work so well; I didn't use staggered nutrient additions or similar techniques.

I have a 14th-century recipe that recommends pretty much this exact technique.

Yeah, basically what's happening is since you are really over-pitching, the yeast don't have to go through the reproduction phase and can spend more time on respiration - producing EtOH. I also imagine that the nutrients from dead yeast would act like adding yeast hulls and make it a more hospitable environment, which could reduce higher-order alcohol production.

I think you may get some off flavors from the hops left in your yeast cake esp since it is an IPA. Just a little hops goes a long ways in something with a lower final gravity like mead or cider. On the plus side I think you won't have to wait forever for the yeast to finish up because of the over pitch. I say go for it, give it a taste, report back and add that fruit or flavor to help cover up the flaws.

FWIW I brewed a cyser using 1lb of honey per gallon of apple juice using slurry from a batch of porter that was brewed with WLP013. It turned out great. I used about a pint of slurry in 3 gallons of juice.

Just a quick update on how this mead is clearing up. Might bottle soon but I'm a bit short on wine bottles so it might need to wait another year.
20181025_145052.jpeg

Just an update. This mead was tasting a little odd. So i chucked another 25g of challenger hops in then left it 6 more months to clear. It is a little odd now. Not terrible but not great. I think if i had chucked honey water and bread yeast together and left it 3 years it would have worked out better.

Back