Mead OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iceman6409

Reaction score
Just made a simple sweet mead. 17lbs honey and the rest is water to get to about 5.8 gallons. Took an OH and it showed 1.066. Kinda low?

Sounds low given the volume of honey and the total volume of must. One pound of honey dissolved to make 1 gallon will have an SG of 1.035 and so 17 lbs will have an SG of 17 * 1.035 = 1.595. Dilute that by 5.8 gallons and the SG should be .595/5.8 = 1.102 approx Bottom line - either the sample you measured suggests that the honey is not evenly distributed through the water or it started to ferment before you measured the gravity ( a starting gravity of 1.100 points to a potential ABV of about 13% )

Mead is notoriously difficult to get a good OG reading as the honey does not mix well. The calculated gravity bernardsmith gave will be much closer.

Just made a simple sweet mead. 17lbs honey and the rest is water to get to about 5.8 gallons. Took an OH and it showed 1.066. Kinda low?

I think Benardsmith is correct, that the honey did not dissolve evenly. When I first read this the first thing that popped to my is the honey dropped to the bottom. Odds are you will be ok. If you are only a day or two into it since pitching the yeast you can get a stirring rod sanitize it and give it a stir. Oxygen in the first week is not bad.

At this point taking a new og wont be too accurate bc it usualky before fermentation and when fermentation is over, so go with the number that Benardsmith gave you as it is a good guesstimate of where you shoild be add.

It did look to me like it sank to the bottom. I did shake and roll the carboy on it's side twice and I stuck a sanitized racking cane to the bottom and gave it a good stir as well. Should I continue doing that?

I don't think that it matters. The yeast will get to the sugars one way or another. What I do, however, is to mix my honey with water in a blender. This both completely disperses the honey and aerates the must. It also creates so much froth that it is incredibly difficult to measure the actual gravity before I pitch the yeast but I am not in the business of making commercial wines /meads and so if my starting gravity is a few points off ..so be it. It's the flavor, the mouthfeel, the aroma.. it's the pleasure of the glass that I am looking for.

It did look to me like it sank to the bottom. I did shake and roll the carboy on it's side twice and I stuck a sanitized racking cane to the bottom and gave it a good stir as well. Should I continue doing that?

Once should do it. Nowjust let it ferment. :mug:

Ok so bonehead move of a lifetime. I just figured out why my OG was so low. I did not put all the honey in. Just now I found 5lbs honey that was buried underneath some towels. I originally made the batch on Wednesday September 27. It is now October 1. Can i simply put the 5lbs honey in the primary fermenter?

Ok so bonehead move of a lifetime. I just figured out why my OG was so low. I did not put all the honey in. Just now I found 5lbs honey that was buried underneath some towels. I originally made the batch on Wednesday September 27. It is now October 1. Can i simply put the 5lbs honey in the primary fermenter?

quick answer is yes, ur still with in the week mark so oxygen wont have much of an affect

Back