Mead in Conicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazed

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 15 gallon Conical and was thinking about doing 10 gallon batches of mead in it. I was thinking this out on how to do it using SNA's (Staggered Nutrient Additoins) along with the daily Degassing (stirring) for the first week.

I figured that I would have to mix up the Honey & Water in my 15 Gallon Brew pot and then dump it in the conical. That works...but using the Lees Stirrer in my Conical...not sure if i would smack the sampling port and damage it...or if I should dump also.

Any one out there try this yet?

I think you're over thinkiing this....Of course you will want to be careful, but it's just a bigger version of what you're already doing. I'd do a 14 gallon batch of mead in a 15 gallon conical...I 'm pretty. What a Lucky Sombitch you are!

Yes but i do seem to bang the sides of my 7 Gallon bucket alot ...while trying to stir all the bottom...Maybe I don't need to kick up the lees during stirring.

Yes but i do seem to bang the sides of my 7 Gallon bucket alot ...while trying to stir all the bottom...Maybe I don't need to kick up the lees during stirring.

Sounds like you're being pretty aggressive.....I just don't worry a bout it a lot. A good hard swirl to introduce a bit of extra o2 is about all I worry about.

...I have a 15 gallon Conical and was thinking about doing 10 gallon batches of mead in it. I was thinking this out on how to do it using SNA's (Staggered Nutrient Additoins) along with the daily Degassing (stirring) for the first week.
Although I do not have a conical, I do know that others have used the SNA with larger batch sizes with success.

Just ratio my SNA protocal using 5 gallons as the reference volume. I've done it in reverse with 3 gallon batches. Frankly, it won't hurt if your additions are not exact, as they were established as nominal amounts.

You actually can do more "harm" by adding too much, too late, in the yeast fermentation cycle. FWIW, to be on the safe side I never add nutrients/DAP once the must is at the 50% point.

Thanks for the info guys.

Is it ok to dump the Lees...or do i want it there until fermentaion ends?

...Is it ok to dump the Lees...or do i want it there until fermentation ends?
I am never in any rush to rack off the primary lees - the notion of autolysis creating problems in a mead tends to be over stated (IMO) - See the FAQ on this subject.

I typically wait 1 month (or more) before I rack. I use a combination of the absence of fermentation, the type of mead being made, and the yeast type to decide when to rack.

The longest I've waited to rack was 9 months, and that was done intentionally to acquire a "nuttiness" character in a Riesling pyment.

Thanks Hightest...I was kind of Refering to Using the Dump Valve on the Conical (since I won't be racking)...But it's like the same idea as racking.

I figure I could do about 12.5 Gallons in it and have 2 gallons of head space for the volcano I create when Stirring it daily
(I wouldnt want it to overflow otherwise I would do a 14 gal batch BigKahuna).

So if I dumped the Lees I would secondary in it, and then Bottle or keg straight from the Conical...
I like mostly the fact that I can Sample from it and get readings without having to stick something in there all the time like a bucket.

Latest posts

Back