Mead help with finishing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sobiepan

Reaction score
Hello and happy to be here.
I have been making mead for a few years now following different members recipes and learning as I go. One constant remains. My mead, although good, is always extremely strong. I have tried to back sweeten it but never thought that tasted much better. I am guess i am brewing it too long but not sure. I have a hydrometer but not sure why to use it as I don’t think I care too much what the alcohol content is.

all that said, my question is this. What can I do to make my mead sweeter and more flavorful? I know this is a wide range question but appreciate the insight. Maybe it’s the yeast I use or I am fermenting it too long. I just don’t know.

thank you everyone

Give us some details on what you've been doing - how much honey and what type, what size batch, what yeast do you use? And what does "extremely strong" mean, if not the alcohol content?

I'm guessing by "too strong," you're wanting something with less alcohol? I would calc out your fermentation to finish dry at about 12% (or even lower if you think that's still too high), then stabilize, then backsweeten.

"Too Strong" could be a hot "rocket fuel" alcohol flavor? Aging the mead will help, but using modern mead methods including staggered nutrient additions, rehydrating procedures and the proper amount of yeast could prevent those flavors from developing in the first place.

Start with how you mix up the honey with water (amounts) and then yeast selection. If you're using champagne yeast (like EC-1118) you'll be looking at 18% ABV batches. If you pick something like D47 you'll get a 14% batch. Then there's Wyeast sweet mead yeast which is listed with an 11% ABV tolerance (their dry is listed at 18%).

I've always used the calculation tool on the Got Mead site to figure out how much honey to water to use. Has worked out nicely for every batch I've made.

Back