Mead Gruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
Before the hop revolution (yes hard to believe), alcohol was spiced with what was called gruit. It basically was a mixture of bitter herbs to counter the sweetness of the partly fermented sweet liquid.

While this was the mainstay for the precursor of modern beer, I ask myself what if this gruit mixture was used in Mead.

Of course it would be a metheglin

The recipe would follow a slow and low pasteurization to create a medium show mead plus this :
1 oz. Dried Mugwort at 60 minutes
1 oz. Dried Yarrow at 60 minutes
2 g. Dried Sweet Gale at 10 minutes
0.2 oz. Dried Marsh Rosemary at 10 minutes

I would suggest 10lbs of light mead

What kind of yeast ?

What else ?

Thoughts Suggestions?

I have no idea what even one of those tastes like, so I have little advice haha. But I would say that following advice for a braggot would probably benefit you. I know summersolstice has a at least one braggot thread on here as well as several other mead experts.

I am very intrigued by this though, so I will be checking on your progress.

I don't know about Mugwort but 1 oz of Yarrow is going to be very bitter. FYI, too much Yarrow will give you diarrhea really bad but 1 oz in 5 gallons should be fine. You just want to be carefull if you decide to make a tea with it. :p

I've never found Sweet Gale to be overly bitter. I can't really describe the taste but maybe "bitter/sweet/flowery". I know I don't like it in Gruit.

If I remember correctly, yarrow tea is also an anti-inflammatory, a blood thinner, and an anti-bacterial for the bladder [helps infections].

Digdan - Did you end up making this?

yes I did... kinda. I omitted out the yarrow (it tasted like gasoline when I brewed it in a tea). I also added elderberries... I think... look below. Instead I added a special type of lavendar, which was a great success. My friends and I drank 5 gallons in just short of a month. I have since lost my brew journal, but I did manage to find this pic of the mix before going into the brew :

dscn1462l.jpg

In retrospect I would refine the balance between the Sweet Gale, Rosemary, and Lavender. And use only those three ingredients. The lavender flavor alone was great.

Latest posts

Back