Mead from a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robodeath

Reaction score
I've read that people force carb sparkling mead in a keg and then bottle it. Could you just leave it in the keg and serve it that way?

Also, if I wanted to age the mead would I do so in the keg? Would I age it under pressure?

I would age it BEFORE you put it into the keg. Have it otherwise ready to drink before you carbonate it. It will age much slower at normal kegorator/keezer temperatures than in a cellar/basement.

I have not carbonated any of my meads yet. Not sure if I ever will either. I did cold crash some in keg, in the brew fridge before. Was able to bottle direct from keg (didn't have the beer gun or anything else at that time).

I'm giving my [14%] batches at least 10-12 months before going to bottle with them. I have batches started last December, that might be bottled soon. I suspect they won't go to bottle before it's been a full year, though. Just because things happen.

IMO/IME, time is one of your best ally's/tools you can have for mead. Having a kegging setup means you can get it super clear and then carbonate with the forced method (I would use the slow method, not rapid) and not get sediment forming in the bottles. You'll still get some stuff to settle out in bottles, unless you filter it. No harm done though.

I will for sure age for a long time. I've tried mead at different stages of aging and it's almost unbelievable to me the difference it makes.

I will use the slow carb method as I do with my beers. Any idea what psi a mead should be slow carbed and served at 38 degrees F?

Depends on the CO2 volumes you want. If you want it something like champagne, then you want more CO2 volumes. I would just go by THE chart.

One of the great things about using CO2 to carbonate it is you can always adjust the carbonation level. I would advise starting in the ale range and testing it. If you want more, then increase it 1-2psi and give it time to infuse (1-2 weeks). Good reason, IMO, to have more than one body on the regulator. :D I have a dual body feeding the kegs in my brew fridge. I also have other CO2 regulators/sources that I can use. :rockin:

Sounds like a plan. I also have a dual body regulator. I'm currently using the 2nd one for a keg of rum/coke :D

Nice... I have one of the bodies feeding a manifold for ales, and the other feeding a second manifold for brown's and porters. I like brown ales with a bit less carbonation than my pale ales/IPA's and such. I have another single body regulator (connected to my 5# tank, dual is on a 20# tank) plus a regulator for paintball gun bottles and a Leland regulator. Need to get the paintball bottles filled, as well as my 2.5# tank... My 'reserve' for the brew fridge (CO2 tank) is a 10 pounder. :rockin:

Back