MD spring brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Wes, here is what I am thinking for the lager...

Either a vienna or a helles, high on the IBUs (all noble) and I am gonna dry hop mine too. If you have a preference on style I am good for either. For recipe, we could just do one of Jamil's.

Right now Jen wants me to make her a SA Boston Lager, however I think a noble heavy helles or vienna would suit her palate as well as mine. We'll both have a look together through Brewing Classic Styles tonight and I'll get back to you on our decision.

Sorry guys I have not posted, I don't think me or the Chili will be there this time. I have a curling tournament that week, that was rescheduled because of the snow. Will be at the next one.

KC

Holy cow, I have met someone that plays curling... scratch that off the list.

Wes, I dont have that book, so whatever you come up with is fine by me. Just post the recipe scaled for a 12G preboil and 70% eff. Or, post what the book has and I can scale.

Wes, I dont have that book, so whatever you come up with is fine by me. Just post the recipe scaled for a 12G preboil and 70% eff. Or, post what the book has and I can scale.

I've got Jamils recipe formulated, but can't figure out how to post the BeerXML file !? Posting rules at the bottom say I can't post attachments, is this dictated by the thread or because I'm not a premium member?

Anyways Ryan, modify the hop additions to suit your bitterness/flavor liking. Cheers :mug:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: München Helles
Brewer: Ryan
Asst Brewer: Wes
Style: Munich Helles
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.50 gal
Boil Size: 12.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 4.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 17.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
18.94 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 94.00 %
0.91 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4.50 %
0.30 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 1.50 %
0.60 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.9 IBU
1 Pkgs German Lager (White Labs #WLP830)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 20.14 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 25.18 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 16.11 qt of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F

Stefin, slightly :off: but when you made your berliner weiss when did you pitch Lacto relative to yeast? I'm trying to get my pucker right, but want to make sure it's tart enough.

I did mine at the same time... there is lots of discussion as to when is right though. mine is also not alll that sour!

Yeah, I want mine pretty tart, so I've got a lacto starter going as we speak. Planning on brewing this saturday. If any of you guys who've done a BW before have any suggestions I'm open to some feedback, but enough hijacking our thread.

Okay, for my BW, I mashed for like 3 days in a 90* garage. It had a very "unique" aroma prior to draining. I did a no boil, so on the third day it went into the primary. I fermented with a clean ale for like 5 days (I think), then racked to a secondary and pitched the lacto culture. It sat there for about a month or so until it was puckering. This beer was awesome in a ridiculous way. But like most amazing things, it did not last. There was a leak in the beer out post of the keg, and 5 gallons of amazing BW went into my carpet.

I am glad I got a few pints, but I am sad to think what it could have been at high carbonation...

The curling center is about 10 minutes from my house.

I should be there in April, but I'm not planning on a sharing a brew with anyone in case I don't make it. I'm suppose to get my 10 gallon MLT this weekend though.

Thanks for the feedback Ryan. Don't know how effectively a sour mash will work for me this time of year. Right now my intent was a single decoction for some hop isomerization and no-boil.

Ryan, I'm guessing Al's water is probably higher in mineral content than we'd prefer for the Helles. Any suggestions on building our water before brewday?

yeah als water is fine... just not for super light beers. you could just fill your fermenters at home! I brought a mashtun full of water once.

Hey Wes, I have soft water. Here is the water report for my well:
https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...zAtYjhmNi00M2Q2LWEzZDktNTA1NjM5NjM0MTU4&hl=en

I can bring a bunch of buckets of my water

I like the look of that profile for a Helles.
FWIW - Ran a water needed calc on BeerSmith and spat out ~15 gal. req.

btw: how much did that water analysis run you?

I do run it thru a filter...so it should be much better now than the old days where we just used the house water.

I thought those filters just remove chlorine content. Do they actually lower total dissolved solids?

I like the look of that profile for a Helles.
FWIW - Ran a water needed calc on BeerSmith and spat out ~15 gal. req.

btw: how much did that water analysis run you?

I think like $25. The pediatrician said we should do it so we know how much fluoride to give the kiddo, the brewing use was a nice benefit.

I can bring 15 gallons. We can top up with filtered water if required.

Damn! You've got some really nice water! 181 TDS is unbelievable!

And yes, a whole house filter can remove some of the goodies that contribute to your TDS, thereby lowering it some. But it dosen't do very much. It also depends on the filter of course.

I'm considering one of these guys. Linky

I'm considering one of these guys. Linky

Don't even consider paying that much. Check you some saltwater reef aquarium forums. They are used a lot in the hobby and that will be a great place to find a good cheap one. I would also recommend getting a larger container than what it comes with and set up a float valve shutoff.

Seriously?? I thought this was a pretty decent deal for an RO setup. Plus, it will benefit the entire family with clean drinking and cooking water. I'll look around some though now that you got me thinkin'.

Good advice on the added size tank though, I was considering doing that.

Moving is one option...or I can just get a really long hose and hook up to Ryan's well. :D

About 5 years ago when I had a reef tank if I remember right you could get a 50gpd rodi unit for under $100. I can't remember the brand but I knew of quite a few people that had it and it would put out water with between 0 and 3 tds.

Actually this is the first discussion I think I've really ever given to water. I've never made a beer below 5 SRM that needed soft water. :p

Well beer clarity is a different issue. I feel like that is going to be my target for home brewing improvement this upcoming year... after I get a kegging setup :p

I'm pretty sure I must be the only homebrewer at our shindigs who still bottles EVERYTHING

lame! i actually just bought a bottling bucket... and am gonna get back into it! I wont do a ton... but the sours kinda need bottling!

I rarely give too much consideration to water. I had gotten into the habit of adding 5.2 buffer in my mash since my old city water was rough. Nowadays, I dont think I will do that anymore once the 5.2 runs out. I think my water is supposed to be good for lower SRM malty beers. uBt anyone that has sampled at my house, I dont really make low SRM beers, not on purpose, I think I just like the roasted grains most of the time.

I do know water is important, but there is something to be said for terroir. I mean, do you think the monks or the farmers had details on the bicarbonate levels when they made their famous beers?

(I think I started typing this post at 7:30, and finally finished it now. Man this work stuff distracts me sometimes)

Latest posts

Back