Mcmaster Disconnect ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I need to order disconnects. I already oredered 1/2" ID silicone hoses. I was looking at #'s 6739k68 and 6739k59, are those going to create a restriction in flow? It looks like I will be choking down the 1/2" ID line.

Meh, I use those. You won't get 100% flow, but for 5 and 10 gallon batches their fine for me. My march pumps prime and work fine with them as well.

_

Whirlpooling is similar to snipe hunting. Actually I don't whirlpool, so I can't answer it.

I see no reason you couldn't, it still has decent flow.

Cam Locks aren't in the budget. As long as the mcmaster disconnects can whirlpool well I will be happy. I ordered a pump so that I could whirlpool and so I didn't have to carry buckets of hot liquids.

Aren't those brass? You could go with aluminum Cam Locks for almost the same price.

Actaully, that 6739k68 is 8 bucks per?!?!? You would save money going with Aluminum Cam Locks.

When you remove a camlock does the flow get stopped like with a disconnect? .

The Mcmaster QD's you posted do not have a valve and the flow will not stop when you disconnect them unless you have a seperate (ball) valve.

go with cam locks better flow. bargainfittings.com has everything you need. the other ones you listed are restricting ive heard

No the flow does not stop. You attach them to ball valves.

Type B for the Female end. That attaches to a Street Elbow. I grind down the other threads on the elbow and slip the hose over the now smooth 'threads'.

20754d1298083603-new-hoses-image-4022721165.jpg

For the Male it is type A or F depending on what you are putting it on.

Type B for the Female end. That attaches to a Street Elbow. I grind down the other threads on the elbow and slip the hose over the now smooth 'threads'.

what size hose? no clamp?

Thank you! I just watched bobbys video, that helped alot too. I forgot that I would have valves to stop the flow, duh.

I think I could put the short nipples in my mini lathe and turn them down real easy. I wish you guys would stop changing my plans on me, I'm never going to finish this project:)

This is where you can get the 1/2" NPT camlocks from Proflow Dynamics:

http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Couplings-for-Homebrewers-_C12074.cfm

These are all stainless, which are preferable to aluminum for easier cleanability. I was able to get everything I needed for $60 for my full all-grain system. At the moment, morebeer has the 1/2" street elbows in brass for cheap in their clearance section, so that's a possibility. I have also recently found that Home Depot carries Lead-free brass 1/2" NPT ball valves for $7.50 apiece. If you're on a budget then those are some ways to go easier on the pocket book.

You'll then need some silicone o-rings instead of the ones they come with. McMaster-Carr has them with part #: 9396K31. It's a pack of 50, but you can use these o-rings in conjunction with a lot of the weldless fittings out there as well, so it's nice to have backups.

I have to give a thumbs up to proflow, I ordered the camlocks the morning of the 26th. I forgot to order the food grade gaskets so I called them later that afternoon and even though the package was ready to be shipped they opened it and added them for me. I got the package in the mail yesterday, it was less than 2 days for regular shipping. These things are really cool and I can't wait to use them.

This is where you can get the 1/2" NPT camlocks from Proflow Dynamics:

http://store.proflowdynamics.com/modules/store/-Couplings-for-Homebrewers-_C12074.cfm

These are all stainless, which are preferable to aluminum for easier cleanability. I was able to get everything I needed for $60 for my full all-grain system. At the moment, morebeer has the 1/2" street elbows in brass for cheap in their clearance section, so that's a possibility. I have also recently found that Home Depot carries Lead-free brass 1/2" NPT ball valves for $7.50 apiece. If you're on a budget then those are some ways to go easier on the pocket book.

You'll then need some silicone o-rings instead of the ones they come with. McMaster-Carr has them with part #: 9396K31. It's a pack of 50, but you can use these o-rings in conjunction with a lot of the weldless fittings out there as well, so it's nice to have backups.

Their hose barbs look nearly full port - are they? Those might be nicer than the bargain fittings version. Can you tell if these are interchangeable with the ones provided by BF?

I'm 95% done with my single tier and I'm doing a test run with just cold water. I bought the wrong size clamps and have the silicone hose showed over the stainless street elbow threads. So far it's working without any leaks. I know others do this, does it seem to hold when using hot water? I'm a little nervous trying it with hot water.

Their hose barbs look nearly full port - are they? Those might be nicer than the bargain fittings version. Can you tell if these are interchangeable with the ones provided by BF?

I don't actually know, but I am using a setup identical to BobbyM's where you use a street elbow with a male NPT camlock and use the threaded end as the barbs. In fact, I put a ball valve on one end of each hose so I am guaranteed always to have a shutoff, not matter what I'm doing.

The pics of the barbed version are misleading. I don't know where that pic came from but NONE of the camlocks I've ever seen have a barb that is as big as that picture suggests. Nope, they are all less than 3/8" ID.

The only time you need a clamp is post pump where you might forget to open a downstream valve. Without any backpressure, it won't leak at all.

You are correct, I could see the water wind it's way up the threads whenever I closed the valve or created significant back pressure. It's not bad though, usually just a drip. I'm going to find some clamps today.

I ran the system this morning with hot water and a small amount of grain to see if everything works with a homemade false bottom made from a colander. It seemed to work ok and should be much better with a full grain bill. I love having the pump and the camlocks are extremely cool.

Latest posts

Back