May have a situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
So I checked my Carboy to see how my Bavarian hefeweizen was coming along that I brewed yesterday and the stopper with the airlock was just sitting on the hole on the top of the Carboy. Tried to push it in there but it just kept popping out bits been really humid here and the Carboy is in a chest freezer with a stc1000 for temp control. What can I do to fix it. Local homebrew stores are closed today or I would go and get something but just want something till I can get there tomorrow. And is the beer going to be ruined

I don't think fermentation has started yet. What do YA think. View attachment 291287 best pic I got wife sent it to me while I'm at work.

Yeah, I'm sure it's started. Fermentation is well underway before krausen begins to appear. High krausen is just that time point when the yeast have reached their peak activity (and numbers).

As for the airlock - no worries. Lots of breweries, particularly in Europe, use open top fermenters with direct yeast pitches. A simple cover of saran wrap or aluminum foil works great to keep out dust and bugs. The Yeast will make a nice blanket of CO2 to keep your beer free of oxidation.

Good luck!
P

Also, it's probably the CO2 pressure that's pushing out the stopper. I've had blow offs that painted my ceiling and curtains with krausen--beer turned out great..as long as its active, it should be okay.

Sounds like wet bung in wet carboy. They don't want to stay. Let both the bung and the carboy opening dry out and pop that sucker back in. No worries.

Leaving it covered with tin-foil is fine too but the stopper will go back no worries once it's dry. CO2 pressure did not dislodge it. The rubber stoppers shape memory and lack of friction between the carboy and it did.

Increase the friction (dry) and problem solved.

Edit: this is why I use carboy caps.

carboycap__25373.jpg

Just checked it as I just got home from work. Good krasuen on top and nice white foam. Airlock is bubbling away and star san foam is coming out the top. I think we are in the clear. But I ham going to the homebrew store tomorrow and getting a Carboy cap and some tubing

Back