Max cabonation units in Grolsch bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyToper

Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that Grolsch bottles could take a higher level of carbonation than regular bottles. I'm going to be bottling up some Belgian Dubbel and am wondering if they will take 3-4 units of carbonation without exploding. Does anyone have any experience with this or a link? Thanks.
Dan

To me Grolsch bottles seem to be made of thinner glass than the standard brown beer bottle.
I'm not saying they can't take 4 vols, 'cause I don't know for sure.
I would bottle most in regular bottles and do a six of Grolsch bottles as an experiment.
Let us know how it turns out.

I think Orval bottles are strongest, followed by the standard Belgian 33cl abbey bottles.

Yeah. I agree. They definitely don't feel as heavy as some of the commercial Belgian bottles. I can't remember where I heard that they were as durable. Maybe I'm mistaken. I've got kegs but am splitting a batch with a buddy in another city thus the need for bottles. I'll have the time to drink some Belgians. I suppose champagne bottle from New Years Eve would work as well, right? I'd have to cork them but that would be kind of cool from a presentation standpoint.

Yea HairyDogBrewing, Orval bottles are the strongest bottles I have seen yet. they are soo damn thick, and they are cool looking too. Too bad they are 3.50 a piece

Back