Maturing time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonanotjones

Reaction score
I've just finished my first fermentation and I've racked it off after 10 days, it was a lot faster than I thought but I did use nutrient. My new SG reading is 1000 so all the sugars have gone, should I wait another 3 weeks before bottling or should I wait until more sediment settles and the cider is the right colour, it's starting to have the right colour at the top already.
Because all of the SG of 1000 does it mean it's maturing from now on?

Wait until it clears completely. Also, 1.000 is not always the end of fermentation. What was your recipe?

I would give the cider a little more time to hang out. 1.000 sounds about right for it to be finished, but that is not guaranteed. If it is starting to clear, that would indicate to me that fermentation is indeed done. If it were still actively fermenting, you would not notice any clearing from the top down as the CO2 coming out of solution would keep the yeast and other cloudy particles thoroughly mixed in. If its clearing, I would let it go until you deem it clear enough to bottle/keg. You can always use isinglass to greatly accelerate that process.

I used dessert apples from scratch, added pectolase to help break it down, yeast + nutrient.
I'm surprised by how fast it's moving along, I read 2 weeks ferm, followed by 2 more weeks.
I did taste some and it's not bad for 10 days!

My cider is clearing nicely, cleared about halfway down, looks like it'll be a week tops.
When I bottle and carb how long should I leave it to mature?
I would like to drink some asap and leave some others longer.
What are the time ranges of maturing

I'm assuming you are you going to back sweeten? I "test" the carbonation and once it's at the level I like I stove top pasteurize. After that I put them in the fridge for about two four weeks but I definitely drink a couple through out that time.

Back