Maturation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hatepickingnames

Reaction score
Ive only kegged 3 of my beers so far. I recently did my belgian white. Normaly it would ferment out in 10 days and then get bottled. Its a beer that needs a few weeks in bottle to come around.
This time it went to a keg then into the keezer. My question is did i halt the process that improves the beer in the few weeks after bkttling? Will it mature at 40 degrees F?

Yes. Once the temp gets that low the yeast are going to stop working, but that doesn't mean the beer will stop conditioning. There are benefits to both warm and cold conditioning.

I'm a big fan of warm conditioning to let the flavors meld together a bit more so my beers (bottles or kegs) get a MINIMUM of two weeks at room temp regardless of the container.

Again, that's not saying that you won't be happy with time cold conditioning but it may taste slightly different than if you warm conditioned it. You can always take it out of the keezer if you like.

Thats what figured. It took first in style in a comp so i want to replicate it as best i can. It also happens to be one of my favs. Its already out of the keezer.

Back