Math for total mash volume?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trimixdiver1

Reaction score
Anyone have the math for finding the total mash volume (water plus grain)?

I want to throw it into my PLC so its automatically calculated.

Thanks

PS the calcs out there use grain weight and qt/lb to find the solution

So you're trying to figure out the total volume of your grain bill plus the mash water needed?

I've always used green bay rackers can I mash it calculator, but you mentioned being familiar with the calculators so this might be something out of my knowledge level.

Edit, I'm not one of the fancy engineer guys on here, but perhaps you could use that calculator to find a total mash volume, then subtract the water needed. That would give you a grain volume and you could divide by the weight of the grain to see what that calculator uses in terms of converting grain weight to grain volume.

This is what I use..

Grist weight x (1.3125 + mash ratio qt/lb -1)/4

Example 10lbs of grain at 1.25qt/lb
10*(1.3125+1.25-1)/4 = 3.90625

3.91 gallons total mash volume

No problem, all my calculations are on that page if you want them. View page source and look for the javascript file.

http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/

my calculator has an output for mash volume, which is temp adjusted for thermal expansion.

Strike water volume + .08*grain bill=mash volume, * thermal expansion ratio if you want. Typically around 3% at typical mash temps.

For the exp ratio, do you multiply the sum by 3? Seems off. Or is it .3? And where in the equation?

Thanks!

For the exp ratio, do you multiply the sum by 3? Seems off. Or is it .3? And where in the equation?

Thanks!

I would multiple the strike water by 1.03 to account for a 3% expansion, which is pretty close. Not a huge change, but at 7.5 G 3% puts you around .25 more.

Mash volume (gallons) = Strike water needed (gallons) *1.03 + grain bill (Lb) * 0.08(gal/lb)

Back