material for mesh bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safronsue

Reaction score
hi, first post but been reading and learning on here for a while, so thanks.

I'm interested in using the mesh bag method preparing fruit and would like to make my own with draw strings. What material would be most suitable? Mosquito netting, muslin, or plain cotton?

Voile material ia what people use to make mesh bags for BIAB beermaking. If you have access to a hardware store you might look and see if they have 5 gallon paint strainer bags. It is what I use for most of my fruit wines.:mug:

I use nylon bags now but in the day, the wife woul dmake me bags out of muslin and bed sheets. They worked pretty well and I had less gross lees than I do with the nylon bags. Just make sure the linen/muslin is clean with no dies. A bed sheet works well imo. Very easy to sew as well.

RobWalker said:
Tights work too if you're desperate. Or panty ho's as the americans call them, that name makes me laugh.

It makes us laugh too that's why we prefer it.

i've made my bags and am ready to rock n roll...just waiting on yeast etc in the post. thanks for your input!

Back