Massachusetts group grape buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a paypal account for receiving money, just for the occasional purchase thru ebay. But if anyone wanted to send a check in advance that would be cool, that way I don't need to foot the deposit. PM me and I'll send you my address.

BTW, do we need to go thru the formality of having a charter or some other document establishing the co-op? I'm ok with it just being a bunch of friends getting together to make some wine but if anyone is uncomfortable with that and wants a more formal arrangemant we can try to put something together. Any of you guys happen to be a lawyer?

PTN

I don't have a paypal account for receiving money, just for the occasional purchase thru ebay. But if anyone wanted to send a check in advance that would be cool, that way I don't need to foot the deposit. PM me and I'll send you my address.

BTW, do we need to go thru the formality of having a charter or some other document establishing the co-op? I'm ok with it just being a bunch of friends getting together to make some wine but if anyone is uncomfortable with that and wants a more formal arrangemant we can try to put something together. Any of you guys happen to be a lawyer?

PTN

We all know where you live Paul.. muwhaha

I just ran a few figures around. If everyone contributes what they have commited to then we have 10 co-op members, with 18 commited shares (at $50/share). Here is the list.

PTN,........................... 150/3
BigJohnMelana ................50/1
CrankyLibrarian.................50/1
JustMrWill........................50/1
BeerGears........................50/1
Vermiscoius....................150/3
Sumo..............................50/1
TonyLopez......................100/2
BullsBeers.......................150/3
RickLovecraft...................100/2

That gives us $900. If we set aside $75 for yeast, yeast nutrient, MLB, acid and Kmeta that leaves us $825 to buy grapes with. At $20.50/lug that gives us 40 lugs. If we figure 1.25 gallons per 18 lb lug (An estimate, might be high, might be low, depends on the grapes)that gives us 50 gallons of wine. 50 gallons divided by .75 liter ( a standard wine bottle) gives us about 245 bottles. That translates into roughly 13 bottles per share. Bear in mind that these are VERY rough guestimates. So for $50 you will end up with a case (plus) of what is hopefully some very nice wine. Not as cheap as Two Buck Chuck but should be much better wine.

PTN

Eh, formality is for suckers. Even though I haven't met any of you yet, I say let's just make & drink some wine. I really hope that the grapes don't arrive while I'm out of town since I really want to join in the work on that day.

PTN- I'll PM you for your address so I can send you a check. Thanks again for organizing all this.

I am wicked excited! I just made a deal with a friend from Sonoma who will sell me his 5 spout stainless steel bottle filler for about 1/2 price! Whoooaaaa yea! He says he can bottle 2 60 gallon barrels in a few hours with this baby! Less time bottling means the wine is exposed to air for less time. (And in my case, less time spent bottling means less time spent 'sampling,' so I end up with more wine.)

PTN

Man, I wish we had someone in Columbus who could help me out with something like this. Grapes, grain, wouldn't matter to me. I'm really jealous. Good luck everyone. Hope everything goes well.:)

Man, I wish we had someone in Columbus who could help me out with something like this. Grapes, grain, wouldn't matter to me. I'm really jealous. Good luck everyone. Hope everything goes well.:)

The woes of living in the "Brown Eye State" :p

What's the airfare from Ohio? Maybe you can write it off as an education expense? Just be a little vague on details.

PTN

What's the airfare from Ohio? Maybe you can write it off as an education expense? Just be a little vague on details.
PTN

Yeah, I could try that, but then convincing her that it's ok for me to bring home carboys full of juice would be a whole 'nother story. Something along the lines of "There is something seriously wrong with you."

Paul,
I have been away (Costa Rica) and now I am traveling for work a lot until mid April. I'll try to swing by and drop off the money soon.

-Will

Great idea, Will. You should come on Saturday, the chipper will be here around 8:00am. I'll put you in charge of pulling the branches off the piles and hauling them to the chipper. My nephew and I took down 8 more trees last Saturday, to go along with 7 I took down in November. I'm going to have so much sunlight in the yard this summer I might grow 12 billion tons of grapes. (But probably not that much.)

PTN
ps
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Why not just drop it in the mail?

Yup....and it was a free trip at that. :)

The manager of the resort I was at (the Lost Iguana) offered me a job...who cares if the pay sucks...I know where I am going if I lose my job!

Hey Will,
Where were you on Saturday? We waited as long as we could but eventually we had to get going without you...

1237817196.jpg

Tree's! I don't like em!

DSCN0229.jpg

DSCN0228.jpg

DSCN0230.jpg

PTN

Anyone want some firewood?

DSCN0231.jpg

Aweful lot of tree limbs in that pile.

1237817506.jpg

Too bad you didn't come, we had enough S'mores for the 82n'd Airborne

1237817290.jpg

The reason for all of this effort. Third year Cab Franc, I'll let a crop set this year. Hope for 1/2 gallon/vine out of this first crop. Should be up to 1 gallon/vine in another couple years.
DSCN0233.jpg

PTN

It's mostly all maple and oak with a little poison ivy covered beech thrown in for extra flavoring. If you want some come get it cause I'm spending the rest of today beating it like an ugly stepchild with an ax then I'm posting an ad on Craigslist. Only problem is I have no idea what split firewood goes for. For that matter I have no idea how much I have there. I think a cord is 4x4x8 which is pretty close to what I already have stacked up. I've probably got the same amount split on the ground after my efforts yesterday.

I'm a VERY old, creaky, sore, arthritic nurse. But my heart is pure and that counts for a lot, so I'm told.

PTN

If i had time i would come and pick some up... I have an unexpected trip to Indy next week that kills any free time next week. :(

We ordered all Malbec but I'm going to take a look at the Camenere when I go to pick them up and if the Camenere looks good I might substitue 20-25% Camenere to soften and round out the Malbec.

PTN

Melana,
I'm not in any terrible hurry to get rid of the firewood, if you want I'll keep some aside for you.

P

The pics of lugs that you showed on page 2, is each one of those white plastic trays a 38 pound lug? Just curious. I'm also ordering some 18 pound crates from chile from a local distributor.

I'm getting a strong sense of SPRING today, boys and girls. Do you know what that means? It means that our neighbors south of the equator have stopped spraying (Can you tell I've been spending a lot of time figuring out my spraying schedule for this summer) and harvest is drawing near. Before too long they will all gather in the vineyard and start picking grapes. And because they are our friends there will be minimal mog. A friend of mine got a gila monster in one lug a few years ago. Leaves are one thing, gila monsters bring mog to a whole new level.

I am spending many hours a day planning diferent scenario's in my mind. (Probably not a good thing to admit, I should be at work figuring the best way to titrate someones neo vs their levophed, and instead I'm thinking about how I can convince Alice to do punchdowns for us while I'm at work.

Can't wait for springtime grapes!!!!!

Hey, guess what? I need to bottle 45 gallons of wine before we can put our wine into the barrels. I sense a pretty good drinkin' day coming up and I'm going to need extra hands.

PTN

Is that a hint that we should be freeing up a weekend day for some drinking? (and possibly eating?)

I will be out of town (in FL) April 5th through 11th....and if you want to wait until April 19th...we can do another brew/Will's b-day :cool:.

-Will

I'm dying to try that Cab that we pressed that very cold day..I don't even remember when it was...All I remember is that it was cold and the RIBS and CAB grapes tasted amazing...

Will,
You go on vacation more than I do. I'm jealous.

Vermiscious, got your check yesterday. So now we have BeerGears, BigJohn/Melana Vermiscoius and PTN in the pool. If the rest of you guys could think about getting your $$ to me over the next few weeks so that we have the entire groups money ready to go when the grapes come in. So far I'm just holding on the the checks, I'll deposit them around the middle of April.

PTN

I wish it was all vacation...the Florida trip is for work and will be 7 days of 5am - 7pm driving to every store we have down there and installing software.

-Will

Hey, not for nuttin but if you happen to libe in Sommerivike and you happened to send a check into the co-op and expected thtrI would know who you were by magic or sumtin... I ndon't get it ...

'RA'

PM me.

thanks., excuse the short temper, Its capebrewingss faaaaalt. That and demon rum/

Hey, not for nuttin but if you happen to libe in Sommerivike and you happened to send a check into the co-op and expected thtrI would know who you were by magic or sumtin... I ndon't get it ...

'RA'

PM me.

thanks., excuse the short temper, Its capebrewingss faaaaalt. That and demon rum/

Shyte, I'm sorry Paul...I need to get you over my share and the refractometer..I should be in Stoughton in the next week of so. I'll PM you when..I can't believe you haven't bottled that cab..It's gonna be sooo good when it's done..

Back