Mashout temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewedBrew

Reaction score
I have been AG brewing small batches for quite a while. I mash in a 5 gallon kettle, then raise the temperature to 168, stir, and let sit for 20 minutes. Next, I vorlauf the first run, add strike water 168 degrees, stir and let settle, then collect second running.

I was curious about raising the mash temperature before the first vorlauf. Is it necessary, and what does it do? Or should I collect my first vorlauf at mash temperature?

Since you're talking about first runnings, I'll assume you're batch sparging. In that case, no. A mash out is not necessary. Lauter as fast as your system will allow and get the boil kettle on a burner to raise the temperature. Then use 180 or so degree sparge water to denature the enzymes in the rest of the mash. If you're fly sparging a mash out is a good idea.

I have two small stock pots with strike water to add to the mash after the first vorlauf to get the second collection.

Just a heads up. The word you're looking for is lauter.

Vorlauf = Method of Clarifying the Runnings
Lauter = Seperate Wort from Grain
Sparge = Rinse the Grain

Back