Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave1776

Reaction score
I have the home depot 10 gal round cooler that I have been using as my mash tun. The drain tube has been working ok, but last brew it clogged and was a pain. Does anyone use, and how well does the false bottom work that is made for these types of mash tuns? It seems odd to me that the drain tube comes out of the top of the false bottom.

I use a manifold. I read quite a bit about false bottoms for these, and my conclusion was that the cooler expands/contracts too much with the heat changes for me to be satisfied with the FB. I was too worried about channeling down the side, or having the FB get stuck in there. I built a copper manifold and it works like a CHAMP. Aside for never wanting to use a hacksaw again, very glad I did it.

Drain coming out the top works b/c of siphon...downward pressure of liquid draining into BK creates a vacuum and "sucks" the liquid in the tun up.

EDIT: Also, the manifold was much cheaper. I'm sure if the FB were cheaper I'd be on here telling you how great it works.

Sure:

MT Manifold.JPG

All 1/2" copper:
4x Elbow 90°
5x Tee
1x 45° Street
1x female adapter
1x 5' pipe

Are the sides of your cooler deformed or is that just an illusion from the camera?

Deformed from the drastic changes in temp. The pic definitely makes it look worse than it is though.

I need a false bottom for my mas tun as well. kegcowboy has them for $42 i think for a 12 inch diameter. How many slits did you cut down each piece of copper and did you put them on the bottom? does this ever get clogged or stuck? thanks.
-C

Edit: Also can i just cut the slits with an angle grinder? how did you connect it to the valve? I just ordered a cooler conversion valve from bargainfittings and its got a regular 1/2 inch coupling that goes in the cooler. Was this cheaper to make than 42 dollars?

Yup, that's the one. I was originally going to do the stainless tube manifold, but I wanted the option to fly sparge.

Do yo FB folks use clamps to secure tubing between the FB and your cooler coupling?

Do yo FB folks use clamps to secure tubing between the FB and your cooler coupling?

Nope. I just stuff it on. Mine is very much like the picture. It works well, because having tubing on the outside on the ball valve creates a "siphon tube" so it sucks up the wort from the bottom, under the false bottom. I have almost no deadspace as a result.

I need a false bottom for my mas tun as well. kegcowboy has them for $42 i think for a 12 inch diameter. How many slits did you cut down each piece of copper and did you put them on the bottom? does this ever get clogged or stuck? thanks.
-C

Edit: Also can i just cut the slits with an angle grinder? how did you connect it to the valve? I just ordered a cooler conversion valve from bargainfittings and its got a regular 1/2 inch coupling that goes in the cooler. Was this cheaper to make than 42 dollars?

My manifold cost ~$20. Never had any clogging issues. I'm sure you could cut w/angle grinder. A lot of folks use a Dremel. I have neither, so a good ol' hacksaw for me. I did roughly 1/4" between each slit I think, probably more than necessary. Yes, slits on the bottom.

Connected to valve with a straight piece of copper. The 45* street elbow is just loose enough to let me connect.

It works great. I was also very close to getting the FB others have mentioned, and I'm sure I would've been pleased with that too.

Back