Mashing Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All grain brewers know the following.

148F = light body.

152F = medium body.

156F = full body.

However, these temps are not exact. What about 147? 148? At what temp does light body become medium body? Likewise, at what temp does medium body become full body. What is the max temp for full body?

Thanks.

I have six different mash profiles set up in Beersmith...
01 - Light Body 146F
02 - Light/Medium Body 150F
03 - Medium Body 152F
04 - Medium/Full Body 154F
05 - Full Body 156F
06 - Very Full Body 158F

148F = light body.

152F = medium body.

156F = full body.

However, these temps are not exact. What about 147? 148? At what temp does light body become medium body? Likewise, at what temp does medium body become full body. What is the max temp for full body?

Thanks.

It's absolutely arbitrary. There is no line where one goes from light to medium to full.

In fact, I take issue with you using 148 degrees as the definition of "light body." Seems to me it's closer to 147.2 :)

on a more serious note..

enzyme_activity_one_hour_mash.jpg

on a more serious note..

View attachment 649866

I was going to post that too; thanks for saving me the looking. :) I think that's a chart every brewer should have handy.

I think @kevin58's numbers/lines/thresholds are as good as anything; in the end, you'll end up deciding how much is enough for your taste, and adjust.

I have a Kolsch (well, sort of a Kolsch :)) in the fermenter now; it's done, and according to TILT, the final gravity is 1.007. And I believe that--last batch of this beer also ended up about there.

Why so low? I did a rest at 134 degrees for about 10 minutes, then ramped it up to 149, which ramping took about 15 minutes. So it's a lighter-bodied beer at least in terms of gravity. It'll still have a lot of flavor because of the malt recipe, but it's a crisp but flavorful beer.

In other words (referencing the chart), I let the Beta Amylase have its kick at the can before raising the temp enough to let the Alpha Amylase have its turn.

I'm not sure what "line" I would use for describing that beer. Or, what would it have been if, instead of stopping at 149, I let it go all the way to 158?

Watch out on the lower end. It seems a good number of the base malts the last year or two have had gelatinization temps in the 147-149 range. Staying below those for the entire mash could cause some problems. Best to get a malt analysis if possible and plan accordingly.

148F = light body.

152F = medium body.

156F = full body.

In this range of temperatures, I find the exact temperature doesn't matter nearly as much as the mash TIME. I would change the list as such:

90 minutes = light body.

45 minutes = medium body.

25 minutes = full body.

Try it out. It works.

This is how started doing step mashes over single infusion. - Heat Loss -

I adopted LOB and found out my 12 gallon igloo mash tun cooler was too big for holding heat on smaller grain bills. So adding frequent boiling water additions compensated for the heat loss. Doing this had me pretty much going to a no-sparge situation, but with high mash efficiency over 90%. Sometimes over 95%. A lot of that is just from mashing longer. See the times below and the blog link.

One other complexity was I wanted to top out at 7 gallons of mash/sparge water so I would start my boil typically with 5.75 gallons. I didn't want long boil offs after long mashing.

Anyhow I like this blog. Its a good read. It helped me fix my heat loss problem. http://counterbrew.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-beer-geek-guide-to-step-mashing-even.html

I typically do the following mashes with boiling water additions. Works great. However it will be better/more fun with my new RIM/HERMS Set-up. (just got it plumbed up last week) Using this my mash efficiency is very high, in the 90s, but they are long mashes. I also pay attention to the pH with my brewing water. Mashing is the part I like most about brewing.

I use these two most frequently.

1) Dry Beer
2) Max phenolic expression.

I have this graphic on my step mashing calculator within sheets.

f79.gif

A Step Mash for clarity and body.
100 F for 20 minutes
134 F for 20 minutes
145 F for 30 minutes
155 F for 20 minutes
168 F for 10 minutes

A Step Mash for maximum phenolic expression.
100 F for 20 minutes
113 F for 35 minutes
134 F for 10 minutes
150 F for 30 minutes
168 F for 10 minutes

A simple step mash for maximum extraction of sugar
100 F for 20 minutes
150 F for 45 minutes
168 F for 10 minutes

Step mash for dry beer - dry stout & dry lager like ales
145 F for 30 minutes
152 F for 50 minutes
158 F for 30 minutes
168 F for 10 minutes

This really works well if you account for the temp loss between steps. John Palmer's equation on step mashing allows for the heat loss adjustment. It's in the 2nd page. I also pasted it below.

Use this formula in a spreadsheet if you don't have a step calculator that you like using.

http://howtobrew.com/book/section-3/the-methods-of-mashing/multi-rest-mashing

"Initial Infusion Equation:
Strike Water Temperature Tw = (.2/r)(T2 - T1) + T2

Mash Infusion Equation:
Wa = (T2 - T1)(.2G + Wm)/(Tw - T2)

where:
r = The ratio of water to grain in quarts per pound.
Wa = The amount of boiling water added (in quarts).
Wm = The total amount of water in the mash (in quarts).
T1 = The initial temperature of the mash.
T2 = The target temperature of the mash.
Tw = The actual temperature of the infusion water.
G = The amount of grain in the mash (in pounds).

"The infusion water does not have to be boiling, a common choice is to use the sparge water at 170¡F. Then TB becomes 170 ¡F and more water (Wa) will be needed to make up the additional quantity of heat."

I typically underlet with bottom to bottom connections HLT to MLT. I use a yardstick that I convert gallons/qrts to inches in the kettle. Its pretty easy to do if you just crack the HLT valve slowly let it transfer until you see the required drop in inches in the HLT.

Cheers!!! :ban:

Last edited:
FWIW - I apologize for repeating myself a couple times in the above post. I did a copy paste from another thread and didn't fully edit repetitive comments. If nothing else it re-emphasizes those things.

One other important point about step mashing is you can do a quick easy and thin decoction to help you do a mash out. If you underlet, you just need to drain back to your BK a specific volume. Boil and then drain back to your MLT. Gravity or a pump helps.

Use this formula in a spreadsheet. It's works quite well.

To calculate decoction volume:
- Total mash volume (gallons or quarts)
- Start temp (F or C):
- Target temp (F or C):
- Boil temp: 212F or 100C

decoction volume = total mash volume * (target temp - start temp) / (boil temp - start temp)

I frequently did this if my mash-out fell too short of that target temperature.

One other important point about step mashing is you can do a quick easy and thin decoction to help you do a mash out. If you underlet, you just need to drain back to your BK a specific volume. Boil and then drain back to your MLT. Gravity or a pump helps.

Use this formula in a spreadsheet. It's works quite well.

To calculate decoction volume:
- Total mash volume (gallons or quarts)
- Start temp (F or C):
- Target temp (F or C):
- Boil temp: 212F or 100C

decoction volume = total mash volume * (target temp - start temp) / (boil temp - start temp)

I frequently did this if my mash-out fell too short of that target temperature.

i'll have to try this next time....normally i just keep adding boiling wort/water and checking the temp in the mash tun....

Back