Mashing Mistake a Big or Small Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adiochiro3

Reaction score
I made what I think is a relatively minor mistake this afternoon brewing a Rauchbier; instead of heating my water to strike temp, I doughed in while the water was cold as though I was steeping my grains for an extract brew. :drunk: (It's been a long week, and I certainly was a bit off my game today!)

As soon as I finished doughing in I realized my mistake and pulled the bag of grains back out, drained them really well, and heated the water to my strike temp and re-inserted the wet bag of grains. My mash temp plummeted to 119F (as I expected), so I heated to my 152F mash temp while stirring to evenly distribute the heat.

Once I achieved 152F, I continued as normal with a 1 hour mash, boil, etc. I finished with an OG of 1.065 (the top end of the style), so I think I'm OK. Wort tasted like normal wort; however, there seemed to be more trub than usual. It's in the fermenter with S-05, so I guess I'll know in a month what I've really got.

Any thoughts?

It seems unlikely that anything happened that would affect your beer. Too cold is safer than too hot, I would think.

Thanks for the advice, guys. That's what I was thinking as well. I'll post an update when all is said and done.

I made what I think is a relatively minor mistake this afternoon brewing a Rauchbier; instead of heating my water to strike temp, I doughed in while the water was cold as though I was steeping my grains for an extract brew. :drunk: (It's been a long week, and I certainly was a bit off my game today!)

As soon as I finished doughing in I realized my mistake and pulled the bag of grains back out, drained them really well, and heated the water to my strike temp and re-inserted the wet bag of grains. My mash temp plummeted to 119F (as I expected), so I heated to my 152F mash temp while stirring to evenly distribute the heat.

Once I achieved 152F, I continued as normal with a 1 hour mash, boil, etc. I finished with an OG of 1.065 (the top end of the style), so I think I'm OK. Wort tasted like normal wort; however, there seemed to be more trub than usual. It's in the fermenter with S-05, so I guess I'll know in a month what I've really got.

Any thoughts?

LOL! I did this exact same thing a few brews ago. :rockin:

I was brewing with a friend who was brewing for the first time so I was walking him through the process (and putting back a few in the process :tank:). Anyways, I got ahead of myself and forgot to heat my strike water before adding my grains. :drunk: I did what you did and everything turned out just fine so you should have nothing to worry about... :mug:

Back