Mashing in

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abrew2u

Reaction score
I built a brew stand and I'm about to try it out this weekend for the first time ,my question is if I strike temp is too low what does that do to the mash(less sweetness )or can I bring the temp upto 150 and it doesn't mater till I hit optimum mash [...]

LOL! I reckon between a direct-fired MLT and a RIMS tube you can make up for a low strike temperature pretty quickly...

Cheers!

With RIMs you can strike anywhere and bring it up to temp. If it hits your target temp within a few minutes I don't think sweetness will be affected, but if you spend a lot of time below 152 (15-20 min) it may decrease sweetness. Personally I like to strike at 104 and slowly bring it to 145 then 155 then 168 before sparge. My goal is max fermentables, adjust sweetness in the grain bill rather than temp. If it is your first time using the RIMs though, I strongly suggest hitting your desired strike temp. You never know how well recirc will work your first time, try it out before committing to step mash. Lots of rice hulls and good luck. Pretty sweet rig.

Back