Mashing in the Oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxed

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new poster, but I am a somewhat experienced Extract+/Partial Mash brewer. I don't have an allgrain set up yet, but I read a... different technique in Wines & Beers of Old New England, and wanted to run it by a more experienced set of ears (I figured it's been forty years since the book was published).

The idea is to bake bread with malt-flour instead of mashing your grains. The author notes that you have to undercook the bread (330 degrees for 20 minutes, I believe) so that the diastase is warm enough to convert the starches to sugars but not so hot that the bread bakes too fast. The trick is to not let the bread brown. Then you break it into pieces and throw it into the pot (presumably when you would add the extract).

I've been trying to do some additional reading (not wanting to waste my first allgrain batch on a stupid idea), but it's a particularly hard concept to google. I have found a ton of beer bread and spent grain bread recipes, though. So I thought I'd ask you guys if this is completely insane.

Considering you'd need a breadpan, as opposed to a mashing tun and lautering tun, you'd think if it was such a great idea it would have caught on.

It sounds very interesting, and I'd be eager to hear about results of anyone trying the technique. IIRC, ancient Sumerian brewing involved adding bread instead of grain, but I don't know whether starch conversion happened during the baking, or afterwards by the action of molds (similar to contemporary Sake brewing).

A couple of points I'd worry about: lack of diastatic control and incomplete starch conversion. But maybe I worry too much.

Back