Mashing in at 130 F with Recirculating Mash system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question: I've recently purchased a recirculating electric BIAB system with the ability to control mash temps, and I am wondering if there is any reason not to dough-in at 130 F each time and allow it to come to whatever saccharification
rest the recipe calls for? I would not be doing a protein rest, per se, but just allow the grain to come to the proper temp as quickly as the system will allow. Does anybody see any problems with this? Thanks!

- Jason

it will probably ramp slow and the majority of your mash will be at a lower temp. I just aim like 2f above target in my system and the grain generally drops it about 1-2f below target then the herms will bring it up in a matter of like a minute.

No problem. Grain does not clump at 130f like it does at say 150f so even if you do not want a protein rest, it is easier to stir the grain in.

Now as a counter point, if you do not want a protein rest, it would be much quicker to dump the grain in at your sacc. rest and let it just start the mash.

Back