Mashing in a stock pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
Does anybody here do it? I usually use a picnic cooler, but I am looking to do step mashing and I think it might be easier to mash in my pot and use my stove to handle the temps.

has anyone tried this? any insight on whether or not I could mash 10 lb of grain in a 20 qt stock pot?

any insight on whether or not I could mash 10 lb of grain in a 20 qt stock pot?

That might be a bit tight. 20 quarts is 5 gallons, yes? Most people seem to report maxing out at 11-12lbs of grain in 5 gallon coolers, so a pot should be no different. If you tend to mash thick, you might be OK. If you like to mash thin, you may not have enough room.

Haven't done it but it should work. My thought is be conservative adding heat and stir constantly (to not overheat the grist at the bottom.) I'm thinking a thinner mash would be easier to (stir) heat evenly. If you get hot spots you risk mashing-out part of the grist and not fully converting. If you're using propane or a gas range some kind of an aluminum disc (flame tamer) between the pot & the burner would help with more even heating. . .heat slow/stir fast.

Sound like a great experiment. Hope you'll proceed and share what you learn!

This is how I brew and it works well enough. I have to brew in my kitchen and all I have is a 16 quart stock pot.The only problem is that I have to sparge the grain a few times to get a decent starting gravity.

The stove I use is electric and is surprisingly good at keeping mash temperatures constant.

Bit because my stock pot is smaller the max grain bill I do is 8 lbs. Anything more and it gets too full to not make a mess....

I mash in my brew kettle, then dump into a Zapap lauter tun, then run back into the kettle. I love being able to add heat to the mash.

Latest posts

Back