mashed longer than I wanted too

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schattz

Reaction score
so I just mashed yesterday for the deadringer ipa from northen brewer

link to ingredients here
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/allgrain/AG-DeadRingerIPA.pdf

so I just bought a wired thermometer so I could see the temp of my mash tun and it ended up being about 20 degrees off. it reads 20 degrees lower than normal which I did not figure out until I attempted to cool the mash down it was reading 158 so I added a little cold water to bring the temp down to 152 after I figured out the it was prob the thermometer I used my other thermometer and got the real temp and at this point it was mashing for about 20 min so I was shooting for the 152 temp and was sitting about 133 I added a 1 gallon of boiling water in an attempt to bring the temp up and it brought it up to about 140 ish and then I added another 1 gallon to bring it up to 152.5

once I got it to it's mash temp I let it mash for the 60 mins and followed everything from normal there

I'm wondering what that first 20 mins would effect And if it would be a severe change

Could certainly affect attenuation making your beers more malty than you'd expect. The wired probe thermometers are not waterproof which causes them to be terribly inaccurate. But you will still make beer and it will likely still be drinkable so RDWHAHB.:beer:

Back