Mash Water Volume Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
Using beer smith it tells me to use 10Q of water for my strike water. I brought 2.5 gal (10Q) to 170 and added to my 8# of grains.

3# Flaked Barley
3# Pilsner
1# American Wheat
1# Flaked Oats

Problem is that my mash is the consistancy of oatmeal - obviously!

Do I add more water at this point? 10min into the mash...

Or is the water at the bottom - just doesn't look like it's going to sparge out real easy!

No, a thick mash is your friend. I would have only used 8 qts to mash that amount of grains but 10 is fine. (I just do 1 qt to 1 pound).

It will be fine and should hold temp well being thick. You're on the right track.

Rice Hulls and a freaking false bottom man... I have rigged my way into too many stuck sparges.. this is the last time!!!!

Went to sparge and it was a MAJOR PITA!!!

I have found when mashing thick, adding water for a mash out is big help when you go to sparge.

i never paid attention to the TYPE of grains in the mash the first time and was just looking at the weight.

That grain bill was 62% flaked grains and wheat.

Rice hulls are a must for that kind of grain bill for sure, and I don't think the thickness of the mash was the real problem.

No, probably not. I went on the cheap for my MT and have the stainless steel braided hose... I think the false bottom will also help a ton.

Back