Mash water temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I wanted to know what everyone mash water temp is when brewing ? I've used 150-158 deg. Usually which ends up at the 150deg. Range, Is that to low? Which could explain why my body is not where I would like in my last two batches?

Depends on the style I'm brewing and other factors like water to grain ratio, but typically 168* water will get me a 154* mash on a 1.25:1 ratio.

Demon said:
Depends on the style I'm brewing and other factors like water to grain ratio, but typically 168* water will get me a 154* mash on a 1.25:1 ratio.

I use a 1:1 ratio and I was going for a IPA , so r u saying that when u add the grains Ur at 168* and maintain it? And what's to hot , I don't want to extract tannins

Totally depends on style and how much body I want in the beer. Ranges from the mid to low 140s for most of my Belgians to the mid to low 150s for IIPAs. Read up on mash temp and how it affects fermentability. Plenty here on mash temps as well. Good luck

I use a 1:1 ratio and I was going for a IPA , so r u saying that when u add the grains Ur at 168* and maintain it? And what's to hot , I don't want to extract tannins

No. Once my water reaches 168 it is transferred to the mash tun, then grain is added in. After transfer and stirring a couple minutes my temp is usually 154ish. As far as too hot, I've never mashed above 156. Some may go hotter but I usually range from 149-156 dependent on style.

He's adding water at 168 and ending with 154 after doughing in. Most of my IIPAs I do much the same, sometimes shooting for a 152 depending on grains.

Here's a link to Chapter 16 in Palmer's How to Brew free online book. The formula to calculate the initial infustion water temp is provided and explained. It's simple math and it takes the guesswork out of the process. You can also use brewing software, of course, which really makes it easy, or you could very easily put together a spreadsheet using the given formulas at no cost.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter16-3.html

Thanks guys what your telling is what I've been doing but wanted to make sure i was correct thanks for the advice

i was also wondering about strike and sparge temps. i flat forgot to ask at the brew store, but i am guessing for my Honey Wheat beer (first All Grain!) that i will get my strike water to 165 and put in the cooler, start to add the grain and stir until down to 157ish. let that sit for an hour and then sparge with 170. I have 10lb of grain, half barley half wheat and a couple of pounds of hulls that I am not counting. I plan on striking with 3.5 gallons and sparging with 5 gallons. Hope I can boil off the extra!

Latest posts

Back