Mash Water Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack181

Reaction score
im just wondering what people use for there calculator , with it being a app or site .. i been using Brewgr site but i end up with an extra .5 gal of wort all the time if i dont factor it in.. im just doing a single infusion / batch sparge with my brews!

I use the mash wizard in Brewtarget... Which is an open source program that is similar to BeerSmith. Works well for my BIAB with dunk sparge.

BeerSmith has a complete mash calculator that will take into account your equipment profile and spit out volumes and temperatures.

Brewersfriend is a little less intuitive in this regard but it can do it for you too. If you build an equipment profile and recipe with brewersfriend it will give you "Quick Water Requirements" which is just volume requirements (which is enough for me with a RIMS tube), and you can use a separate calculator on their site to calculate temperatures. I say volume is enough for me because I can just ballpark infusion temps and let the RIMS tube make corrections.

http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/
I use my own :p
It's much easier to use than anything else I've seen, and fully supports any mash method from mash in a cooler with a sparge and mash out, BIAB full volume mash, or BIAB mash with sparge. Doesn't matter, and only takes like 30 seconds to setup if you know your numbers since everything is listed all on one page.

i been using Brewgr site but i end up with an extra .5 gal of wort all the time

I just did a side by side of beersmith and brewgr, brewgr told me I needed 1/8 gallon more than beersmith did.

0.5 gallons of extra wort every time is not insignificant when your really trying to nail a recipe's OG/volume. You might want to check the equipment profile settings against how your system actually performs.

Sorry, I believe I misunderstood the OP's request. When I hear "Mash water calculator", I think related to water chemistry, not simple volume calculations.

I just use BeerSmith for my volume and temp calculations - those are the easy parts.

I use the Brewer's Friend Water Chemistry calculator (linked in my previous post) for dialing in my alkalinity, pH, and salt additions.

Thanks for all the reply. I will follow up on the links and find what works best for me.

I use Beersmith for my mash calculations. I then measure the amount of wort collected. I then know how much I need for sparge. I heat more than I need. I do a sparge with a little more than half needed, measure again, and sparge with the rest. I hit my preboil to about .1 gallon (that is the best I can estimate on my dipstick)

Or you can just mash with 1.25 to 1.5 quarts to the pound of grains. Then sparge with what is needed to reach preboil volume.

I have trouble with BS2.2 between equipment profiles & it's own calculations. So I use the calculator function in the computer start menu box. 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 quarts of water per pound of grain. Multiply the quarts of water by the pounds of grain & divide by 4 (4 quarts per gallon). So if I mash with 2 1/2 gallons of water &, say, 7-8lbs of grains, I'll batch (dunk) sparge with enough water @ 168F to reach my typical boil volume of 3 1/2 gallons in my 5 gallon kettle.

I use Brew365 for my water volume, but use BrewAlchemy for my app. Ive used Brew365 since I started brewing (started AG) and have found it to be very consistent with my volumes in BrewAlchemy

http://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/
I use my own :p
It's much easier to use than anything else I've seen, and fully supports any mash method from mash in a cooler with a sparge and mash out, BIAB full volume mash, or BIAB mash with sparge. Doesn't matter, and only takes like 30 seconds to setup if you know your numbers since everything is listed all on one page.

Another vote for the Priceless Brewing calc. With my last two brews, the empirical volumes I encountered tracked so closely with the calc's predicted volumes it was almost scary.

Back