mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brockettbrews

Reaction score
making a smaller mash tun to do 2 to 2.5 gallon batches. doing it this weekend. any suggestions ??? cooler size??? im thinking like a 13 quart?? on a 2 gallon patch i dont see me added 13 pounds of grain lol!!!

I do 2.5 gallons in the winter to keep me inside instead of the cold garage. I use a 5 gallon mash tun w/false bottom and fly sparge. Usually my grain bill will be anywhere from 6-8lbs. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 5 gallon cooler....

poislb said:
I do 2.5 gallons in the winter to keep me inside instead of the cold garage. I use a 5 gallon mash tun w/false bottom and fly sparge. Usually my grain bill will be anywhere from 6-8lbs. I wouldnt go any smaller than a 5 gallon cooler....

Heck, I'm squeezing almost 10 gallons out of a 5 gallon cooler. It's an interesting sparge process......

brockettbrews said:
never done a brew in a bag. i live in an apartment with limited space and just an eletric stove.

It eliminates a piece of equipment. It's a big version of steeping grains with extract. Some people love it. Some not so much. I've not tried it.

BIAB would save you space as you wouldn't need a mash tun. You can brew with just one pot and do the full volume, no-sparge method.

Voile curtain, pot, line pot with curtain, heat water to strike, dough-in, cover, wrap with blanket (keep on low heat if you desire), heat to mashout while stirring, squeeze bag, boil.

making a smaller mash tun to do 2 to 2.5 gallon batches. doing it this weekend. any suggestions ??? cooler size??? im thinking like a 13 quart?? on a 2 gallon patch i dont see me added 13 pounds of grain lol!!!

My suggestion would be exactly what I use for my MLT [long thread but the meat is on page 1-3]. There is a link in my signature. I'm in Columbia if you would like to come by and take a look at it for any reason.

Back