Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruskii

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the process of converting to all grain brewing and building my mash tun.

I will be using copper pipes for wort collection on the bottom of the cooler. And I will attach cpvc tubes on the top of the cooler for sparging process.

My question is as follows. My copper tubes are not permanetly attached so they are a bit loose. I want to keep it that way so I can wash them. I am thinking of screwing some kind of metal (copper?) to the bottom of the cooler so my tubes dont move around when I mix or do whatever. What kind of screws and material I can use to make sure it is a food safe?

Thanks.

I wouldnt make small holes like that in my MT it would be hard to seal them. If you wanted to make your connections fit tighter with it assembled take a punch and lightly tape a dent in each connection on the fittings. You could also put a wrap of teflon tape around the pipe when you assemble it.

my manifold in my mash tun is just cpvc pipe with elbows and t fittings pushed together. works just fine for me without any securement to the bottom of my cooler.

I wouldnt make small holes like that in my MT it would be hard to seal them. If you wanted to make your connections fit tighter with it assembled take a punch and lightly tape a dent in each connection on the fittings. You could also put a wrap of teflon tape around the pipe when you assemble it.

Which tape would you use? and what do you mean "punch"?

Just regular teflon tape for sealing pipe threads. Its rated for higher temps then it will ever see in a MT. As for punch you can use something like one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_82696-16878-61699_0__?productId=3356392&Ntt=punch&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dpunch&facetInfo= . Just dont use a punch with a sharp point that may pierce the copper. You put a dent in the middle of the connection to give some friction. to take it apart you just wiggle it as you pull it apart. teflon would probably work a little better as it would help seal the connections so you would get a better siphon.

Don't overthink it .......... I use a copper manifold that is just dry fitted together. I've brewed 40+ batches with it and never had it fall apart during a mash.

I agree. I've been using the same for several years and the loose joints are easily fixed with a little adjustment from some vise grips. Keep it simple.

Back