mash tun, what would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
ok, so i managed to get a keg for $30, which i am turning into a boiling pot, for my move to all grain. right now i'm doing partial mashes.
i was thinking to get a Home depot cooler as my mash tun, then a friend asked me if i was going to get another keg for the mash tun.
if i can get it for the same price, would i be better off just getting another keg and converting it? or go with the HD cooler?

I have a few kegs myself now but when I started with my first kegggle I mashed and boiled in the same kettle...I would Mash in and rest for my required mash time and then I would run off and sparge into my old 10G kettle, clean out the keggle then pour back into my kettle and boil...It wasnt perfect but it worked great...

I use a HD cooler. Works great. I insulated the lid and now it hold temps within 2 deg for a 90 min mash

I have 2 keggles (just the basic setup - keg with top cut out). I haven't pimped either one out yet. I have been using a cooler mash tun and it works great for holding temp. I like the set it and forget it method. I have contemplated converting one of my kegs into a mash tun but haven't done it yet. The only real benefit is that you can do a mash out without an infusion or decoction. It's easier to step mash also if you do a lot of beers that require it.

I just brew ipas and pale ales mostly so I have been happy with the cooler set up. Gives me an hour break where I can walk away and do something else.

any ideas where to get one of those 10 gallon drink coolers for a good price? i see them on amazon for $50-60. at that price i would rather just build a keggle mash tun. both the keggle and the cooler will need the ball valve, so if i can get another keg for 30 bux that would be the cheaper route.
do the kegs lose heat that fast? which way would i get the best quality beer? i might go the more expensive route if my beer turns out better.
thanks

I took a rubber coated keg, cut the bottom off, welded a coupler into the sanke hole, turned the whole thing upside-down and made a false bottom out of a pot lid. It works really well for fly sparging and the rubber insulates it nicely. I know coolers are in wide use, and im not knocking on them too hard, but it is comforting to know my beer isnt spending an hour + in a plastic container.

Installing things like sight glasses and temp probes is a snap as well, I just drilled and tapped holes in the sides and they sealed perfectly with the brass fittings.

any ideas where to get one of those 10 gallon drink coolers for a good price? i see them on amazon for $50-60. at that price i would rather just build a keggle mash tun. both the keggle and the cooler will need the ball valve, so if i can get another keg for 30 bux that would be the cheaper route.
do the kegs lose heat that fast? which way would i get the best quality beer? i might go the more expensive route if my beer turns out better.
thanks

The 10 Gal cooler at Home Depot is $39.95. That's what I have and it works very well. I only lose 1-2 degrees over an hour.

thanks

Craigslist!!!!!!!!!!! took me a couple weeks of checking every other day or so.

I got 1 lightly used one for $20 bucks and 1 new one (still in the box) for $20 bucks.

Both are ten gallon igloos. Craigslist is great if you've got time to check it every day or so and don't need it "now"

think i'm going to do mainly 5 gallon batches for now. want the ability to do 10 gallon though.
whats the max amount of grain you can use with a 10 gallon cooler when doing single infusion batch sparge?

Rectangular coolers are cheaper. I found a 52 qt Coleman at Dick's Sports for $30.00. I have no problem holding temperature for a 60 minute mash.

think i'm going to do mainly 5 gallon batches for now. want the ability to do 10 gallon though.
whats the max amount of grain you can use with a 10 gallon cooler when doing single infusion batch sparge?

This might help...

mltsizetable.gif

You can insulate the keggle too, but I love my cooler mash tun. I am currently looking for a good 10 gallon one for cheap, but I think I might have to just break down and buy one. one thing to remember, you may have to babysit a converted keg, I close the lid on my cooler and I am done, no reheating, no nothing until it is time to sparge.

I think you guys talked me into getting a cooler. Should work well for my applications.
Thanks

I think you guys talked me into getting a cooler. Should work well for my applications.
Thanks

I hope I am not too late but I think you should skip the cooler and just use a keg for your mashtun. I started with the 10 gallon cooler and quickly descovered that it wasnt big enough for 10 gallon batches or even a 5 gallon batch of an imperial stout.

Save yourself the time and money and just go with the keg. I have mine wrapped with insulation and made a lid and it holds the temp almost dead on. Get yourself a flase bottom off ebay, a stainless steel dip tube from bargainfittings.com, and your in business with a quality set up.

if you are dead set on a cooler get at least a 15 gallon rectangular cooler. They are easier to find and typically cheaper. Plus you can fit more in it.

I currently have the 10 Gallon HD cooler for my mash tun, but I am considering changing over to a keg that I have and using my March pump to recirculate to maintain mash temps. From what I understand, a keg gives you more options than a 10 gallon cooler (recirculate, 10 gallon batches, high gravity batches, direct fire to name a few)

I have 2 keggles, plus another that's uncut...and I'm almost thinking that I might just use the 2 I have as HLT and BK, and go the cooler MT route. I don't currently have a pump, and only have one burner...so without going out and spending a wealth of money to either build my eventual rig, or buy another burner...I might just go this route.

Thoughts??

I was able to pick up a 10 gal HD cooler for $20.00. Couldn't pass it up as I too am making the switch to all grain.

I have 2 keggles, plus another that's uncut...and I'm almost thinking that I might just use the 2 I have as HLT and BK, and go the cooler MT route. I don't currently have a pump, and only have one burner...so without going out and spending a wealth of money to either build my eventual rig, or buy another burner...I might just go this route.

Thoughts??

I wouldn't let the fact that you only have 1 burner turn you away from using a keggle as a Mashtun. I just insulated mine nicely and I don't lose much temp at all. Plus I am working on a RIMS so I can controll my mash temps even better.

I just think you will outgrow the 10 gallon cooler.

I wouldn't let the fact that you only have 1 burner turn you away from using a keggle as a Mashtun. I just insulated mine nicely and I don't lose much temp at all. Plus I am working on a RIMS so I can controll my mash temps even better.

I just think you will outgrow the 10 gallon cooler.

If I had a pump, I'd be much more apt to agree with you...but I think that's a little ways away (unless I come across some unforseen funds). I have an old 60qt Ice Cube cooler that I was thinking of using as a quick/cheap experiment...but knowing me, it won't be quick/cheap. I'll end up wanting a sparge arm on it, a manifold better than the stainless braid that I already bought for the experiment, etc.

I have an Igloo cube (52 qt I think). I got it on clearance for $10 at Target over the winter. I don't use it. If I were to do a big beer and wanted to brew more than 5 gallons I might use it again. It held the mash decent or an hour and I think it lost 4 degrees on a cold day. Some great brewers in my home brew club don't even worry about the heat loss. I do though.

Just to give you another take on mashing. I do Brew in a bag (full volume no sparge) in a keggle. I've done 30 + beers in the last year and a half, but only about 10 on the keggle. I've tried to go back to a cooler mash tun a few times and I just have a much better brew day using BIAB.

Minimal cost to upgrade to all grain is one of the nicest things about it. Less equipment to store and clean. You can maintain your mash temp by direct fire, keep the mash moving while you have the flame on. Your keggle IS the mash tun and boil kettle. Basically you spend 3 bucks on 2 yards of voille at wally world and your in business.

One disadvantage is my wort was slightly more cloudy into the fermenter. I've read about some having very clear wort. Since I've gotten a pump I recirculate for a good part of the mash now and get wort as clear as I would from a cooler mash tun. One thing I did to clear my wort up before having a pump was draw a few liters out of the ball valve and pour back on top of the mash. I might have turned over the whole mash volume on a good day but it did make a difference.

Search the forum for BIAB or Brew in a bag.
Or
check this out
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=11694

Back