Mash Tun Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
I'm building a mash tun and I'm trying to find a washer for the inside of the cooler where the adapter meets the nipple. I'm looking for a 3/4 inch SS or brass washer and I'm having trouble finding anything. I've tried Home Depot and a couple local hardware stores.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I picked up the 1/2" stainless washer from lowes and used a dremel to grind it out to fit. I have done this 3 times for my HLT, MLT and Keggle with great results.

I have a 3/4 zinc washer, has anyone tried this or is this a major no no?

I have a 3/4 zinc washer, has anyone tried this or is this a major no no?

It will rust. I learned the hard way. Lowes is where I found my stainless washer, it was in one of the drawers of specialty hardware. Used a dremel to open it up a bit and it works perfectly.

My local HD didn't have them, but Lowes did. They were a little tighter than some zinc ones I compared them to so a dremmel would be necessary to fit over the connections. What I ended up doing in the meantime was to just use a SS conduit lock nut found in electrical section and it does just fine keeping the seal against gasket.

ACE is another option....expensive, but good for specialty stuff like this. And they always have a friendly elderly gentleman working there. Old school, baby.

Back