Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtotz89

Reaction score
So I have been brewing for a little over a year now and now I'm starting to move into all grain and I want to build my own mash tun. I have a beverage cooler (like the ones full of ice and beverages that you see at corner stores) that, with some extra insulation, would work great as a mash tun. The big question I have is how much does grain depth matter? The only reason I ask is because the diameter is probably close to 20in, maybe more, which is wider then all the mash tuns my buddies use. I do plan on making 5 and 10 gallon batches. And also whats the best material to use for a false bottom? Ive heard both brass or stainless steel. Thanks!

if you want to batch sparge (that i recommend) go with your cooler, for false bottem i would use ss, but for me personal i would go with ss braid for $10

Just my opinion, but it may be tricky to use that large of a cooler for a five gallon batch. grain bed depth does not really matter for batch sparging. Sorry to discourage you on the use of your large cooler. if you proceed with it...keep a gallon of two of boiling water handy to bump temps up if your mash cools unexpectedly.

A water heater braid will work well for batch sparging.

Well I would like to start brewing exclusively 10 gallons batches, but your right it might be tricky to keep temp on that, and I wouldn't want to add to much extra water to my mash to maintain it.

Back