Mash tun question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 10 rubbermaid cooler for my mash tun. I made flyguys convertion. I was wondering if anybody uses a mesh bag over the braided hose? It's getting harder to have the wort run clear.

If the brain isn't smashed (assuming you are using a brain), go ahead and try it; I didn't even think of that. I'm building one in a few days and I may just attach a 5 gallon paint strainer over it (if it fits) to see what that does.

If the brain isn't smashed (assuming you are using a brain), go ahead and try it; I didn't even think of that. I'm building one in a few days and I may just attach a 5 gallon paint strainer over it (if it fits) to see what that does.

The best possible way to make a mash tun from a 10 gallon rubbermaid
is to put a false bottom in it. I saw a great improvement.

The paint bag may work but here are other options.

1. A CPVC manifold - inexpensive and easy to make. You can use copper tubing (that's what I did!!!). It will do the job.

2. Another option is a false bottom (see link below, it is the best price on the web).

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4123

One final note, do not underestimate the power of a good Vorlauf. If done correctly, it will really help clear up the wort.

Hope this helps!

Cheers:mug:

OK. But, i bet you end up with one eventually, Just sayin...

lol might buy the one from lanvp's link just to have it. My cooler isn't a cube and I'm not sure if a false bottom would be the best choice.

...if I only had a brain!!!

Perhaps you mean "braid"? I sure hope so.

Been there and done that. Phfffft... evreryone has to learn.

Just because you had difficulty getting a braid to work, it doesn't necessarily mean that the braid was at fault. YMMV. Everyone should find what works for them. There is no one best solution.

If you do a search here and check who has used both methods, I think you will find more people that prefer a braid over a false bottom for batch sparging. False bottoms can be prone to stuck mashes if the false bottom lifts, and they are definitely more prone to stuck mashes than a braid.

To the OP: braids are generally considered to be most efficient at clearing the wort when vorlaufing. However, you don't require PERFECTLY clear wort either. As long as you see a noticeable clearing and there aren't floaties getting through the braid, you should be fine. If you think your wort isn't running clear enough, try running-off a little slower and a little longer. If that doesn't work, then it might be worth spending the cash to see if a manifold or false bottom work better for you.

Just because you had difficulty getting a braid to work, it doesn't necessarily mean that the braid was at fault. YMMV. Everyone should find what works for them. There is no one best solution.

If you do a search here and check who has used both methods, I think you will find more people that prefer a braid over a false bottom for batch sparging. False bottoms can be prone to stuck mashes if the false bottom lifts, and they are definitely more prone to stuck mashes than a braid.

To the OP: braids are generally considered to be most efficient at clearing the wort when vorlaufing. However, you don't require PERFECTLY clear wort either. As long as you see a noticeable clearing and there aren't floaties getting through the braid, you should be fine. If you think your wort isn't running clear enough, try running-off a little slower and a little longer. If that doesn't work, then it might be worth spending the cash to see if a manifold or false bottom work better for you.

Try a false bottom before you give out advise. You will be amazed ,even for batch sparging. But if you are a braid evangualist, then you have your mind made up.. Brew on bro..

Try a false bottom before you give out advise. You will be amazed ,even for batch sparging. But if you are a braid evangualist, then you have your mind made up.. Brew on bro..

lol it seems you are the false bottom evangelicalist. I'd be for either one, but it does seem that a braid would be more efficient for a rectangle tun and a false bottom would be good for a container that it fits in well (e.g. a cube cooler). I think either one could have problems, but I'd think stuck sparges would happen more with a false bottom if you bumped it while stirring or something of the like. If OP is using a SS braid, then maybe he has the braid pushed too close together or pulled too far apart (one of those leaves the holes between the mesh more open, I forget which one, but I believe it happens if it is too close together).

lol it seems you are the false bottom evangelicalist. I'd be for either one, but it does seem that a braid would be more efficient for a rectangle tun and a false bottom would be good for a container that it fits in well (e.g. a cube cooler). I think either one could have problems, but I'd think stuck sparges would happen more with a false bottom if you bumped it while stirring or something of the like. If OP is using a SS braid, then maybe he has the braid pushed too close together or pulled too far apart (one of those leaves the holes between the mesh more open, I forget which one, but I believe it happens if it is too close together).

The OP is asking about a rubbermaid cooler conversion. Not some rectangular something or other. If you have a question about your rectangular whatzit, post a thread. I'll be sure not to respond because I don't know about such. I happen to have used a rubbermaid for 9 years and have tried Double bazzuka and braid. I gained 10 points with a false bottom. So i'm suggesting a false bottom to the OP. What has a rectangular whatzit got to do with the OP??

Sudbuster, you're obviously trying to help the OP - I get that, but you're coming across really cocky and condescending in the process. LOTS of people here have great success brewing with a braid. Expect a lot of backlash when you give a blanket statement about wasting your time with a braid because you'll eventually end up with a FB. In a lot of cases, it's just not true. I've tried several methods myself, and currently use a FB, but certainly not because it's THE way to go.

There's a bunch of ways to skin the cat. No reason to get religious about one technique.

To the OP, I wouldn't bother with a mesh bag over the braid. If it's bad enough that large particles never stop getting through, replace it. If not, don't worry about it. Do like Flyguy said and vorlauf longer/slower.

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to tell you haven't been in this game long. The OP is asking about a rubbermaid cooler conversion. Not some rectangular something or other. If you have a question about your rectangular whatzit, post a thread. I'll be sure not to respond because I don't know about such. I happen to have used a rubbermaid for 9 years and have tried Double bazzuka and braid. I gained 10 points with a false bottom. So i'm suggesting a false bottom to the OP. What has a rectangular whatzit got to do with the OP??

Are you always defensive when your habitual beliefs are challenged? I just expressed my opinion to your reply and a suggestion for the OP. No wonder your job field was in something objective, no one can challenge you there.

Thanks guys...I've use this mash tun with the braid dozens of times. The last batch I made it seemed to not be as clear as I'd like..Maybe I'm a little OCD lately..

Back