Mash Tun Manifold Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxhophead

Reaction score
Ok so I got my mash tun built and the manifold pieced together and I'm ready to make some holes in it for the wort to flow through. I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to use a small drill bit to make round holes or if the slits are better. I've seen most people using the slits and it makes sense that they wouldn't get clogged as easily but I don't have a rotary tool, or a hack saw to make the slits. I do have a saw that I use to cut the CPVC but I think it may be too thick and the slits would be too big. Plus it's not very precise and tends to really tear up the CPVC leaving a lot of clean up to be done on the edges. Anyway I don't want to waste the CPVC, I like to do things right the first time so I'm wondering if I should wait until I have a way to make the slits or should I go ahead and drill the holes. If I do go the drill route, what size drill bit would be best?

Here's a pic so you can see the design. I haven't installed the arm to go to the ball valve yet. I'm going to do it before I make any holes in the pipes though.

Picture-001.jpg

use the smallest drill bit you have and dont drill with it but turn it 45deg and use it to cut slits.? should work

Arneba28 said:
use the smallest drill bit you have and dont drill with it but turn it 45deg and use it to cut slits.? should work

Tried that and my bit broke before it even made it through the pipe wall .

I have seen both holes and slits used. You could always drill holes and see how that works and then do the slits if you problems with the holes.

Thanks for the reply everyone. I didn't want to spend any more money (I know hack saws are cheap) and I already have a drill and bits, so here's what I decided on. I put a row of holes down the center of the pipe and the a row on each side with the holes staggered. I'm thinking that this is kind like the pattern on a false bottom so if it works on a false bottom then why not in this case. Here's a pic.

Picture-003.jpg

How many hours did it take you to drill all those holes? Looks really precise to me.

PAbrewer07 said:
How many hours did it take you to drill all those holes? Looks really precise to me.

It took me about 40 minutes but I think it will be worth it. I can be a bit of an anal retentive perfectionist when it comes to things I'm passionate about. If only I could find a way to get me to be like that at work I'd be the CEO.:ban:

I like the idea of the hoes on the side. Take a look at my gallery how I did the copper manifold. I think I am going to add some more holes in mine. Getting ready in a couple weeks to do my first all grain, should have some spare time to do that.

As far a time, I did mine on this past snowy Saturday!!!! What else was there to do?!

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8115&limit=recent

redneckbeagle said:
I like the idea of the hoes on the side.
I like the idea of hoes on the side too!:D I did the holes route also and haven' t had any problems with it. I am going to try out a braid also to see what I like better.

pdxhophead said:
Thanks for the reply everyone. I didn't want to spend any more money (I know hack saws are cheap) and I already have a drill and bits, so here's what I decided on. I put a row of holes down the center of the pipe and the a row on each side with the holes staggered. I'm thinking that this is kind like the pattern on a false bottom so if it works on a false bottom then why not in this case. Here's a pic.

Picture-003.jpg
That's quite the drill job.:rockin:

pdxhophead said:
I can be a bit of an anal retentive perfectionist when it comes to things I'm passionate about.

When it comes to designing and making equipment there are a lot of exceptionally competent people on this website. I marvel at some of the pictures people post of their homemade equipment--it's no wonder so many companies that make home brewing equipment are no longer in business. All this DIY stuff and improvisation are part of the fun of being a home brewer!

I plan on using CPVC to make a similar manifold--did you have any trouble cleaning debris out of the inside of the tubes?

PAbrewer07 said:
When it comes to designing and making equipment there are a lot of exceptionally competent people on this website. I marvel at some of the pictures people post of their homemade equipment--it's no wonder so many companies that make home brewing equipment are no longer in business. All this DIY stuff and improvisation are part of the fun of being a home brewer!

I plan on using CPVC to make a similar manifold--did you have any trouble cleaning debris out of the inside of the tubes?

The holes didn't have much debris. I found when drilling to go somewhat slow and evenly with a fair amount but not a ton of pressure and the bit cuts pretty smoothly without leaving a lot to clean up. The holes that did have debris were the ones that I flew through. Before I use it I'm going to tape or glue a piece of sandpaper to a dowel and give the inside holes a quick sanding just to make sure I got all the loose stuff. Also before I drilled I ran a line down the pipe with permanent marker so I could keep the rows as straight as possible and then sanded them off after I was done. After fitting it to my cooler I decided to put one more pipe on it to make 5 instead of 4 because it doesn't quite cover the whole width of my cooler as it is. I'll post a report of how it works once I do my first batch of AG. I still need a burner and a larger pot though. I'm probably just going to pick up a turkey fryer kit for like $50 here in a couple weeks.

pdxhophead said:
Before I use it I'm going to tape or glue a piece of sandpaper to a dowel and give the inside holes a quick sanding just to make sure I got all the loose stuff.

You should be able to use a cylindrical file to sand the bottom edges of the holes.

Turkey fryers might still be on close out at places like Lowes or Home Depot. I saw a scratch and dent at Lowes a few weeks ago.

Ok so I did a water test and it works great. I decided to scrap putting a 5th pipe on since once I got it seated in to place it doesn't really warrant it. I did notice that there was like 1/2 gallon of water left in the cooler after draining it through the manifold. Is that normal to have that much water/wort left in the mash tun?

Back