Mash Tun Insulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmcfoot

Reaction score
Does anyone use these and what is your experience with them?

I use this one and it does seem to make a difference, but then again so does using a cooler, however retrofitting a cooler can sometimes be a hassle, that's how my first set up was. My dad uses one of these on a custom keggle he built and he seems to really like it, he doesn't have to fire up the burner anymore except for mash out.

*Happen to know the family who makes these* (disclaimer)

I currently use one on a hobby beverage mash tun and I must say it is awesome, huge difference with maintaining temps than without it. The one on the following website is their newest generation design, it is supposed to be even better than the one I have.

Check it out here::mug:

http://www.bricktownebeer.com/Our_love_for_Homebrewers.html

The only problem with both of those is the inability to direct fire with them in place. 95% of the reason to use a metal tun in the first place is that it can be direct fired. 95% of the reason NOT to use a metal tun is that it can't hold heat.

Another way to say it is that there are plenty of easy, cheap, alternative solutions for a low-temp insulator. The commercial gap, IMHO, is a high heat capable version.

Does anyone use these and what is your experience with them?
I just sent them a request for information about using them on an electric burner at low temperature (325 dgrs) for a step mash. They mention "no open flame" on their website, but I didn't see anything about electric.

Any ideas of what the temperature rating is on one of these?

Wonder if they'd be any good for improving boil times for the guys using electric ranges?

The only problem with both of those is the inability to direct fire with them in place. 95% of the reason to use a metal tun in the first place is that it can be direct fired. 95% of the reason NOT to use a metal tun is that it can't hold heat.

Another way to say it is that there are plenty of easy, cheap, alternative solutions for a low-temp insulator. The commercial gap, IMHO, is a high heat capable version.

Bobby

How is your mineral wool insulation working out on your MLT? are you able to direct fire without any problems?

I just sent them a request for information about using them on an electric burner at low temperature (325 dgrs) for a step mash. They mention "no open flame" on their website, but I didn't see anything about electric.

Any ideas of what the temperature rating is on one of these?

Wonder if they'd be any good for improving boil times for the guys using electric ranges?

Interesting thought..... I would think that you could use this with an electric set up as long as you keep an air gap between the burner and the material. Mine has a canvas type exterior material. Not sure what the interior is made of. That's a great idea to use an electric heating element under the tun.

That's out of control. My plan is to just get some reflectix (10 bucks) and duct tape it on there with maybe a blanket on top.

Edit: I'm using a plastic bucket as a mash tun.

That's out of control. My plan is to just get some reflectix (10 bucks) and duct tape it on there with maybe a blanket on top.

Edit: I'm using a plastic bucket as a mash tun.

I used to do that too, but I got sick of the inconsistent temps. I found the insulator needs to be wrapped tightly on top and sides of the mash tun. Blankets just don't do it.

+1 on the reflectix.
As a bit of unsolicited advice, you can increase the R-value with an air space. I'd double up (or triple) the bottom edge to act as a standoff. You want to have about 1/2" between the tun and the insulation. I have a HLT cozy that I made this way. When I heat up the sparge water to 180F during the mash I slap the cozy on it and it doesn't drop a degree. The HLT is the aluminum 7.5 gal pot that came with my turkey fryer, plus a ball valve.

Yes, my mineral wool blanket has been direct fired many times now with no damage or degradation. It's also not something you can slip into a home sewn pillowcase unfortunately. The high temp equivalent to the OP's link is something like ceramic wool batting inside a fiberglass or other high temp textile jacket.

Yes, my mineral wool blanket has been direct fired many times now with no damage or degradation.
I'm also using the same mineral wool with direct heat. My only complaint is the bulk and weight it adds to the MLT. Guess I'm just being a wuss, but cleaning is a PITA. It would have been nice to have something that was easily removable like this blanket. :(

Back