Mash Tun / HLT Kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmah84

Reaction score
I am looking for a reasonably priced kit for a mash tun / hlt.

I am currently looking at the kit for a 10 gallon set up from AHB.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_33_82_449&products_id=13048

Anyone know of any other similar kits elsewhere? The comment on this has me worried that the kit is very specific on what coolers are allowed. (I am looking at rubbermaid coolers from home depot.)

Thanks!

Why not piece together your own kit? Instead of a false bottom you cab use a bazooka tube. Plenty of info in the diy section. Or go with a rectangular cooler abcs use cpvc/copper to make a manifold. Probably save you about $150.

Link below for conversion for 10 gallon mash tun for batch sparging, using the Rubbermaid/Home Depot coolers. You could do this all for about $60including the cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

You can pickle the brass in a batch of 2 parts distilled white vinegar : 1 part hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes before assembling the mash tun. The stainless steel parts in the kit you provided the link to are expensive.

A styrofoam circle wrapped in plastic wrap or a food-grade bag stuck in the top of the cooler really improves the heat-loss through the lid, better than any spray insulation in the lid.

Link below for conversion for 10 gallon mash tun for batch sparging, using the Rubbermaid/Home Depot coolers. You could do this all for about $60including the cooler.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

You can pickle the brass in a batch of 2 parts distilled white vinegar : 1 part hydrogen peroxide for 5 minutes before assembling the mash tun. The stainless steel parts in the kit you provided the link to are expensive.

A styrofoam circle wrapped in plastic wrap or a food-grade bag stuck in the top of the cooler really improves the heat-loss through the lid, better than any spray insulation in the lid.

Awesome! Thanks.

What does pickling the brass do? I'm not familiar with that term.

All the brass parts you'd buy at Home Depot would be safe for drinking water. But, there may be a small amount of lead on the surface and pickling the brass parts disolves it.

Recommendation from "How to Brew", pg 310-311.

The stainless washer is the only part that getting a true stainless steel is a must. MANY people use the brass parts over the stainless to save $.

I decided to build my HLT/Mash Tun on my own. A quick trip to Home Depot and a local hardware store, I was able to get everything needed. After researching the bazooka tubing versus a false bottom, I decided to drop the extra buck and buy a false bottom from Midwest Supply.

I was able to get 20% off a burner and a 44 qt SS stock pot that I'll use as my BK off Amazon as well. For chilling, I purchased a 50' copper wort chiller from NYBS.

The only thing left I am questioning, is to build a sparge arm, or just go with a silicon tubing floated over 1-2 inches of water. I'd try batch sparge first, but since I built a HLT right out of the gate, I'll give fly sparging a first run. Any thoughts on that?

The only thing I would caution, regarding a false bottom for a cooler, is that warping may occur. The first time I used my cooler/MLT, the heat from the strike water warped the inside. Luckily I use a manifold that I pieced together from cpvc, so the warping doesn't really effect me. However, if I wanted to use one, there is no way it would fit due to the bulge on the inside of the cooler.

Good info to know. I was contemplating on a manifold. Alas, I am not very handy when it comes to building projects. I didn't find any decent and thorough guides on creating it. (pipe measurements, etc.)

Back