Mash Tun drain location, does it matter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lambo3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have thoughts on the MT drain location?

Given a round mash tun with a uniform false bottom (such as the perforated stainless ones many of us have), if we were to compare a location in the center, vs more near the outside of the kettle what difference does it make? If it is drawing from the underside of the false bottom, does it really matter?

I figure if it was going to affect channeling, it would be a problem no matter where it is at, but I suppose if there is always some channeling, then center would be best.

Does anyone have thoughts on the MT drain location?

Given a round mash tun with a uniform false bottom (such as the perforated stainless ones many of us have), if we were to compare a location in the center, vs more near the outside of the kettle what difference does it make? If it is drawing from the underside of the false bottom, does it really matter?

I figure if it was going to affect channeling, it would be a problem no matter where it is at, but I suppose if there is always some channeling, then center would be best.
I overthought this point years ago when I started all-grain. As you said, there might be some very small consideration for channeling, but that effect would be so minor that I wouldn't even consider it. A center drain with a slightly cone shaped bottom would make draining the last bit of wort out of the tun a little easier, but even that is a pretty minor consideration to me. I'd say go with whatever drain location will make it easier to build your mash tun and get brewing. Practicing your process and refining it as you go is going to make a bigger difference in the glass than the location of your mash tun drain!

I overthought this point years ago when I started all-grain. As you said, there might be some very small consideration for channeling, but that effect would be so minor that I wouldn't even consider it. A center drain with a slightly cone shaped bottom would make draining the last bit of wort out of the tun a little easier, but even that is a pretty minor consideration to me. I'd say go with whatever drain location will make it easier to build your mash tun and get brewing. Practicing your process and refining it as you go is going to make a bigger difference in the glass than the location of your mash tun drain!

I'm building a new mash tun, and I'm considering having it come out right near the front of the kettle. My thinking is if the kettle is a degree or two forward, it'll always get the most wort out

I'm building a new mash tun, and I'm considering having it come out right near the front of the kettle. My thinking is if the kettle is a degree or two forward, it'll always get the most wort out
I have a 10 gallon stainless steel cooler for a mash tun with a drain at the front and I do that. With big mashes, it's a little hard to do, but a kettle would probably be easier. I wouldn't count on doing that with a bigger mash tun, but you're probably talking about a smaller % of loss with a bigger mash tun.

Back