Mash tun conversion ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuciferSam

Reaction score
I am going to buy a coleman extreme 72 qt cooler ( or should I buy 2, 1 for the HLT?) and convert it to a mash tun. I want to use 1/2in copper with holes or slits drilled/cut into the bottom of the copper tubing. I want the pieces to snug fit for cleaning.

My question is does someone have a parts list for the manifold section from inside the cooler out?

I want to screw together no soddering and most important no leaks... I am going to menards/Home Depot. I would like to get everything in one trip. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's what mine looks like on the inside. There's about 2" of water in this picture.
1/2" copper pipe, 4 90° elbows, 5 tees, 1 45° elbow, ball valve (on the outside, not visible on this pic), brass nipple, large washer the brass nipple will just fit through, 1/2" plastic nut used on the inside to snug the valve to the cooler.
All the copper pushes together. No soldering. It fully disassembles for cleaning. And, I am getting over 80% efficiency.
No leaks on mine.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400635421.900638.jpg

Can you explain better how and what plastic washer connects to the 45? What size nipple? Stainless? How many washers? What size? Do you need to drill the cooler to make the hole big enough?

No drilling. It fit snug. The nipple length will vary with the thickness of your cooler. The plastic nut is what is used to hold a faucet to the sink. It has 1/2" female threads.
Mine has no stainless steel. In fact, it was made of spare stuff I had lying around.

If not stainless , brass, galvanized?

Yeek! Not galvanized inside! Wort is acidic and will extract zinc from the galvanized parts.

SS, Copper or lead-free brass for all parts that touch the wort.

Galvanized is fine for outside parts that never touch the wort.

Brass it is . stainless is hard to find locally

Back